• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage burned down. Reinspection?? Metal building

Happydude3214

I bought a house with a 40x40 stick built brick garage that burned down. When previous owner had it removed they knocked the back top row of block off allowing rock to slide out. I don't want to have to remove and replace this pad. I have looked into secure set foam to take up the voids and stop gravel from spilling out any further. What should I do? I want to have the city inspector come out and look so I know its right for the next person. I'm a little nervous I could get some bone head who says rip out the pad. I have had contractors say foam it and have fill dirt spread around to cover edge of pad. I don't like hiding things never has worked out well for me. I run a construction company for roofing siding and windows. I don;t have much experience with foundations.

Attachments

• image1 (1).png
    image1 (1).png
    7.6 MB · Views: 24
  • image0 (1).png
    image0 (1).png
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
  • image0 (2).png
    image0 (2).png
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • image0 (3).png
    image0 (3).png
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
Consult a structural engineer to examine the damage and provide a viable solution. Get their professional advice on utilizing secure set foam and fill soil to cover the spaces and prevent gravel spills. Present the engineer's suggestions to the city inspector to ensure compliance and a positive outcome.

The foam you are asking about is not addressed by the Residential Code, so it can only be used subject to approval by the Building Official. I would expect the Building Official to ask for a structural engineer's opinion as to whether or not this is a suitable repair.

I don't disagree with with recommendation for an RDP, but just want to point out how difficult it is to find one at all interested in doing this kind of work. I suspect it might be faster and not cost much more for the OP to just hire the slab and foundation demoed and replaced.

To the OP, get a contractor who has done the foam repairs to put together a proposal with some detail and technical data - expect to pay a little - and present that to the building department. I guess if you want to DIY it, you might get help from a sales rep.

Foam works when injected under a slab because it is restrained in every possible direction. Your situation calls for concrete. However, if you do nothing the gravel loss will reach a point where it stabilizes. If you, or a future owner, decide to rebuild the garage with that slab there might be reason to hire an engineer... but I doubt that.

You mentioned asking a city inspector to render an opinion. It usually takes a permit first to get a city inspector to come over. Inviting inspectors over for a chat is like talking to the police.... the less there is of it, the safer you will be.

When you say my situation calls for concrete. I assume that means concrete around the perimeter to keep the rock from falling out.

The building permit should be issued in the next day or two. I am planning on having an engineer report waiting for the inspector when he or she comes out.

See how this goes. I can't see having to replace this pad. Would be such a waste and not affordable. Thanks for all the info.

Foam is an interesting idea, it would raise the slab and may give you enough time to reset your blocks around the perimeter, it might also prevent the garage slab from busting. Eventually the slab will drop back down over time.

Consult a structural engineer to examine the damage and provide a viable solution. Get their professional advice on utilizing secure set foam and fill soil to cover the spaces and prevent gravel spills. Present the engineer's suggestions to the city inspector to ensure compliance and a positive outcome.
Thank you for the advice. This is the plan I'm working on thanks to yalls responses.

When you say my situation calls for concrete. I assume that means concrete around the perimeter to keep the rock from falling out.

The building permit should be issued in the next day or two. I am planning on having an engineer report waiting for the inspector when he or she comes out.

See how this goes. I can't see having to replace this pad. Would be such a waste and not affordable. Thanks for all the info.

How can the Building Official issue a permit when there isn't any information available regarding how you're going to stabilize the foundation?

Foam is an interesting idea, it would raise the slab and may give you enough time to reset your blocks around the perimeter, it might also prevent the garage slab from busting. Eventually the slab will drop back down over time.
The pad hasnt settled at all. I was going to use the foam to hold the gravel in. The foam also supports 10,000 lbs per foot. We will see what the engineer has to say

How can the Building Official issue a permit when there isn't any information available regarding how you're going to stabilize the foundation?
It depends on the permit technician. Mechelle fought hard to not issue any permits. Grace Lin would issue a permit for a garage sale.

The pad hasnt settled at all. I was going to use the foam to hold the gravel in. The foam also supports 10,000 lbs per foot. We will see what the engineer has to say
That's some tough foam. Please do let us know what the engineer has to say.

1709326015737.png

This is the foam I was thinking of using but I have found nothing for code except its been used for years with utility companies for telephone poles and such.

I don't know. I was asked for a watershed site plan septic site plan owner affidavit and cost of construction size and what it was and of coarse they asked for some money lol. 38.5x38.5 metal building to be put on existing garage pad. exactly what i said in permit. Im in NC

BUILDING PERMIT HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ISSUED.

I thought the pic was indicating that the block had moved out away from under the slab and that you could spray foam below the slab to raise it enough to reset the block, guess I was thinking like an engineer, which I'm not.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

The metal building manufacturer will provide the engineer signed plans for building pad is mine to deal with lol.
But they will give you the forces that will be transmitted to the foundation....And then the engineer will design the foundation unless you can meet the CFMF requirements of the IRC and the foundation is verifiable to that....

No sag in pad. Block on that corner did fall out when skid steer i assume hit it. I was going to put blocks back in and foam