• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage burned down. Reinspection?? Metal building

But they will give you the forces that will be transmitted to the foundation....And then the engineer will design the foundation unless you can meet the CFMF requirements of the IRC and the foundation is verifiable to that....
I assume from the permit for the original garage the foundation plans would be there for the inspector to look at. I hope I'm not wasting time trying to save this pad but a new pad is the cost of the building

The metal building manufacturer will provide the engineer signed plans for building pad is mine to deal with lol.

Do you understand that the design for a pre-engineered metal building comes with plans that indicate the forces to be transmitted to the foundations? And it's the responsibility of the owner to provide a foundation designed to withstand those forces. There's no way a responsible building official would approve putting a pre-engineered building on a pad with one corner undermined like that. That's why I asked what the permit is for -- I know my department would not issue a permit for the metal building without seeing engineering drawings and calculations for the stabilization of the slab and foundations.

I assume from the permit for the original garage the foundation plans would be there for the inspector to look at. I hope I'm not wasting time trying to save this pad but a new pad is the cost of the building
You said the original garage was masonry? That means two load-bearing walls, with a continuous load distributed along the full length of the wall. A 40' x 40' pre-engineered steel building probably has three frame sections, with all the loads concentrated on the six points where those frames sit on the slab. It's a completely different structural condition.

Do you understand that the design for a pre-engineered metal building comes with plans that indicate the forces to be transmitted to the foundations? And it's the responsibility of the owner to provide a foundation designed to withstand those forces. There's no way a responsible building official would approve putting a pre-engineered building on a pad with one corner undermined like that. That's why I asked what the permit is for -- I know my department would not issue a permit for the metal building without seeing engineering drawings and calculations for the stabilization of the slab and foundations.
I understand now what you are saying. I assumed the foundation for the stick built brick garage would have been more than enough for the metal building.
I may be wasting my time onm this then if I have the wrong foundation. Have you ever seen anyone fix a pad like this and use it?

Some jurisdictions don’t save old plans. And if they did, they would not go looking for them when you submit the application, you would have to get a copy of the plans and attach them to your application.

It looked like the blocks were outside the slab? Are you resetting those blocks all around? Is that what is supporting the metal build? Or is it on the slab?

Shouldn't be too hard to calculate how large of footing you need under each concentrated load of the steel frame.

The blocks are outside the slab. I was open to resetting them all the way around if that fixed the slab problem. I was originally planning on putting the building on the slab. But now I'm thinking how can I use the slab and still get good footers for the inspector to be happy with.

Im open to ideas.

I think you'd have an easier time if the building sat on the blocks - sort of a short foundation wall, even if you had to have a sort of pilaster at both ends of each frame where they're anchored.

Do you have the metal building plans? Curious what the reactions are.

At 40 feet wide the metal building frames are almost certainly clear-span rigid frames, which will have a significant outward horizontal thrust at the frame base plates. The existing slab wasn't designed to withstand such loads, and those crumbling concrete blocks certainly won't handle those loads. The IRC doesn't prescriptively deal with this kind of building, so the foundations (piers, pads, whatever) will have to be designed by a structural engineer.

Having done a 40 x 40 in 2015 as a certified installer, you would have to demo and repour. Our foundation was 5" 3000psi with extensive rebar and hair pin ties at the post pads. The interaction between the post anchor bolts and the rebar grid is detailed and important for maintaining wind and seismic loads.