• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garbage disposal not to interceptor?

Among plumbing notes on plans, MEP engineer's plans say "Waste from garbage disposers shall not drain to grease interceptor." Ergo double sink has one side going to grease trap, other side (w/GD) to sanitary drain.

Plumber says it's crazy, I am scratching my head.

What's the rationale for this?

I've heard that not every sink is like this.
And there are different types.
This is a special model.
Of course, he realized the answers here.

2018 IPC....
1003.3.2 Food waste disposers restriction. A food waste disposer shall not discharge to a grease interceptor.

Ultimately, the code official or the public sewer system operators will make the decision on where food waste disposers will be connected.

Talk to your sewer purveyor....

Thanks Moscow.

This is IPC land. Grease trap is sized according to EPA formula.

EPA 1 Procedure Formula (# of meals X (4.5) X kitchen loading B KL = trap volume (gal)

Kitchen Loading KL

Food Grinder & Dishwasher 2.50

Without Food Grinder 2.00

Without Dishwasher 1.50

Without Food Grinder & DW 1.00

Engineer specs 1500 gal outside tank, as formula calls for 1100+gal.

(Formula is contained in local ordinance corded vs non corded garbage disposal, which curiously mixes up the terms Interceptor and Grease trap)
Can't see a reason to spend money on a SW for a in-sink disposal, unless I just add an old Gen2 just to match. A KA cannot handle a load, so what are you guys doing to match the look of the C4 lighting.