• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garden Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
fatboy said:
Bootleg..you never answered my first reply, what is "easily accessed"?
Fatboy,

Yes,

The house is cut into a hill with a one story shed roof sloped to the hill.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the other question is.....is this a tended garden? as in produce?

Or is it merely and architectural feature with little to no maintenance?

It is sounding like the latter, in that case I would not require a guard.

fatboy said:
Look, I didn't bring up the suing issue, I was replying to George's comment. I have asked several times for more info on this "garden", specifically how it is accessed. That would be a critical piece for me to make a decision if a guard were required. If you noticed, my original reply stated that I could see the need for the guard. Based on the info we have been given at this point, yes, I would require it, erring on the side of caution, and safety. If one were to make a compelling argument that a guard wouldn't be required, I would listen to it. And I didn't say no, I said yes.............
The deck has a water view and the roof can be easily access from the ground and over a guard rail from a 2nd story balcony.

fatboy said:
So, the other question is.....is this a tended garden? as in produce? Or is it merely and architectural feature with little to no maintenance?

It is sounding like the latter, in that case I would not require a guard.
Fatboy'

It's green, it reduces the impervious surface.

No guard required, sounds no different from second story windows that may access a first story roof, deliberate effort must be made to access roof.

Bootleg, a little friendly advice . When you post a question, try to give as much info as possible so folks aren't struggling with answers. And, check back on your OP often. You posted the OP on 4/29, and are just now filling in the blanks? Obviously, there were very different "minds eye pictures" of your application.

Again, just friendly advice. Good question, just needed more info. JMHO

If a person can walk up the hill and onto the shed roof, such as there is no significant grade difference where the roof and the hill meet, should it be considerd like a natual cliff, or like a deck? It is built by man, it is a structure, so it would be a deck not a cliff. If it is meant to be walked upon, it is a raised floor surface.

fatboy said:
No guard required, sounds no different from second story windows that may access a first story roof, deliberate effort must be made to access roof.Bootleg, a little friendly advice . When you post a question, try to give as much info as possible so folks aren't struggling with answers. And, check back on your OP often. You posted the OP on 4/29, and are just now filling in the blanks? Obviously, there were very different "minds eye pictures" of your application.

Again, just friendly advice. Good question, just needed more info. JMHO
Fatboy,

I'm on vacation this week and next and over 1300 miles from home and this is my first day on wire-less on a lap-top.

Stuff it brudgers.........it must be nice in your perfect little world, everything is black and white, not so here. Sorry if asking for more information might cause an applicant a delay, if they haven't provided enough to begin with.

It's my job.........

The important thing isn't that I was right.

It's that you were wrong.

Twice.

First about the roof which is trivial.

Second with your predisposition to say "no," which is habitual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.