• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas Line Over Driveway

Wow!
IFGC 404.9 covers outdoor above ground gas piping. It needs to be elevated not less than 3 1/2" above the ground and located where it will be protected from physical damage.

The pipe is steel, somewhat recessed in what appears to be asphalt. There is ample evidence that the pipe is suitable for the environment. The gate opens to a yard however, it might seldom have a car travel through it... and would that matter?

So are you going to ask them to bury the pipe?

gas pipe.JPG

gas pipe 2.JPG

Yes, I would ask them to bury it. The other option would be elevating it to meet the IFGC 404.9 mentioned earlier but that would create a definite tripping hazard for pedestrians and would be completely unacceptable for vehicle traffic.

Shirley where there’s a Will there’s a way.

Losing the hearts and minds of an aggrieved populace, one gas pipe at a time.
Sounds like the original poster is doing a property inspection report. In that case it is her job to point out code compliance issues. It is probably not in the scope to be the fixer of the problem.

Yes, the property is in Bloomington Indiana. Thank you!
Is there any indication of when the gas line might have first been built/ installed?
The other posts in this thread are citing current IFGC 404.9, which is applicable to new construction.% But is there any possibility that the applicable code at time of installation would have allowed this condition? If so, it might be “grandfathered” as a pre-existing nonconforming condition.

This is probably a long shot, because I’m guessing that pipe placement has been addressed in the code for a very long time.

Maybe as long as the pipe has there.
Unless there are gas company records or building permit records, the only way to guess at sate of installation is if there is some kind of manufacturing stamp. and even then that only tells you the earliest possible date; that pipe couldn't sat in a warehouse for decades, then been installed in an era when the code would not allow this configuration.

If the OP is a private property inspector doing this work under contract, I would simply note that the installation would not comply with current IFGC 404.9 and that further investigation is recommended to determine whether it is legally allowed to remain under current code.

The OP said "rental inspection" Many jurisdictions perform periodic inspections of rental properties to ensure a safe, healthy environment. I have no experience with that. I do have experience with some goofy gas pipes.

While the pipe shown in the picture is a code violation, in the grand scheme of things it hardly rises to a dangerous condition. In as much as the property is a rental, I would have no compunction over writing a correction. Were it just a happy homeowner.... I would leave them smiling.

Last edited:
Sounds like the original poster is doing a property inspection report. In that case it is her job to point out code compliance issues. It is probably not in the scope to be the fixer of the problem.

Is there any indication of when the gas line might have first been built/ installed?
The other posts in this thread are citing current IFGC 404.9, which is applicable to new construction.% But is there any possibility that the applicable code at time of installation would have allowed this condition? If so, it might be “grandfathered” as a pre-existing nonconforming condition.

This is probably a long shot, because I’m guessing that pipe placement has been addressed in the code for a very long time.
The building was built in 1950 according to the county. I also wonder if it is enough of a hazard that "grandfathering" would apply.

The building was built in 1950 according to the county. I also wonder if it is enough of a hazard that "grandfathering" would apply.
1. Do you have any evidence that this particular gas line was installed at the time of original construction, 1950?
2. If “yes” to #1, then then what were the adopted codes in Bloomington in 1950? You may have to check at the city clerk’s office to find out.

While the pipe shown in the picture is a code violation, in the grand scheme of things it hardly rises to a dangerous condition. In as much as the property is a rental, I would have no compunction over writing a correction. Were it just a happy homeowner.... I would leave them smiling.
I would disagree. Black iron pipe elevated away from the earth outdoors will get a coating of rust on it and typically that's as far as it will go. Where in contact with the ground is a different matter. Prolonged exposure to wet conditions, contact with whatever minerals or chemicals are in the soil, etc. causing corrosion to the pipe that will continue to deteriorate it. Then there's the matter of the pipe rubbing against the asphalt every time a car drives over it or when the ground heaves in the spring when it thaws. Throw down some ice melt over the winter and it will just accelerate the process.

I would bet if this has been there for any length of time the bottom of the pipe doesn't look nearly as nice as the top side. This is one of those code provisions where its not an immediate danger shortly after installation, its to prevent a very bad situation 20-30-40 years later. The oldest book I found without actually checking with our plumbing inspector was 1997 and it specifically prohibits unprotected iron pipe on or in the ground, including specifying that galvanized pipe is not considered protected.