• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

gas pipe sleeve or not?

I spoke to the city building department. The bad news is that they will not allow a gas pipe under the patio slab unless it is done per code which would require a vented sleeve for the entire length. That was the rule for many years at the county but then it was changed to allow it under open patio covers. LNG is heavier than air so it's not possible to reach a fuel/air ratio that will ignite.

I once was called to a fire that involved a commercial tortilla kitchen in a back yard. The stove was run on propane and propane is also heavier than air. A 100 gallon tank leaked and the propane was trapped by a house, garage and fence. The explosion busted out the house windows, knocked the garage of the foundation, broke the fence and killed the cook.
DAMN, That will make you a Believer!

Sleeving the pipe will weaken the pier.
Perhaps. The hole is 30"x30"x60" with 4-#7 & 8-#6 vertical rebar with #4 ties 6"oc. The post is HSS 4"x4"x5/8" extending 4' deep. I don't think a sleeve would make a difference, however the only sleeve will be a around a 3/4" electrical conduit in one of the piers.

Last edited: