• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gates at Mezzanine Guardrail

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
I have a mezzanine above a storage area in a public works garage. There is stair access and a guardrail surrounding it. We have a lockable gate at one end so this can be opened for a forklift to hoist material for storage on the mezzanine. I have done this dozens of times on similar projects but on this project the Inspector is saying that the gate needs to be self closing and self latching. I think he may be getting over inspectoral (is that a word?) as I don't know where in the code it requires this.
If not, I can send it back to the city staff and they can fight it out with their own inspector.

Thanks All

Technically, they are correct--guards are required when the lower surface is more than 30 inches below the walking surface above. However, the situation is temporary (supposedly). It would not be much different than someone replacing the door latching hardware on a stairway fire door. Temporarily the door does not meet requirements, but that does not mean the building is non-compliant.

In my opinion, this issue is more of an OSHA thing rather than a building code thing. Building departments do not enforce OSHA, so the inspector should be able to tell you exactly where in the building code that requirement is stipulated.

However, if they are adamant and will not give you a CofO unless you comply, then there are products out there just for this type of situation--just Goggle "guard gate mezzanine" and you will see what is out there.