• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

GFCI and Non-GFCI Rated Receptacles

north star

Sawhorse
## ** >

Application # 1: I have an existing Commercial bldg. with a Kitchen in it.
There is one elec. circuit GFCI rated for receptacles within the 6 ft. linear
distance away from a Sink Faucet.

The Problem: Sometime during construction, an elec. circuit was added
to the interior GFCI rated circuit to include an exterior receptacle.......Now,
fast forward a few years, ...the exterior receptacle stops working, and
kills the elec. power to the interior circuit in the Kitchen.

Q1): Is the added exterior elec. receptacle allowed to be connected to
the interior GFCI rated circuit ?

Please cite the applicable Article or Articles in the NEC..........We are
currently using the `17 NEC, but when the bldg. was constructed,
...I do not know what edition of the NEC was used.

Application # 2: Are elec. receptacles "required" to be installed in
Commercial
office spaces ?.......Again, ...please cite the applicable Article
in the NEC.

Thank you for your input ! :cool:

< ** ##

#2 the "wall spacing " receptacles are not required, but specific locations are....

#1 is not so easy because there are some circuits that can have no other outlets like small appliance branch circuits....

A sparky will have to give you the sections but 210.ish.....

I can only speak for the 2014 NEC

1. 210.52(B)(2) says you cannot have anymore outlets connected to the two small appliance required for residential kitchen counters. I can not give you a code section for commercial kitchens because there is none with the same requirement.

2. Cannot give you a code section that requires receptacles in a office because there is no such code section. The code only requires receptacles in commercial buildings for show windows, HVAC and electrical service area.

Actually, Article 210.71 specifies locations in "other than dwelling units" for receptacles in Meeting Rooms; Article 210.62 specifies for receptacle outlets in Show Windows. 2019 CA Electrical Code, based on the 2017 NEC.

In addition, in other than dwelling units, all single-phase receptacles...installed in kitchens are required to be provided with GFCI protection, not only those with 6' of the sink. 210(B)(2)