• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

GFCI cover

Interesting setup, obviously some thought process put into it, but I don't think it will meet the requirements, which I don't have access to, but basically, an "in-use" cover, bubble type.

jar546 said:
So this was built for outside use. Should these covers be changed?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
406.9 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations

(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. For other than one- or two-family dwellings, an outlet box hood installed for this purpose shall be listed, and where installed on an enclosure supported from grade as described in 314.23(B) or as described in 314.23(F) shall be identified as “extra-duty.” All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking-type receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type

OK, that Lexan confused me. I thought it was covering the equipment.

I agree.

If it is "wet", it needs the in use cover.,

IMO, I would cite the applicable NEC Article that is actually enforceable, to require the In-Use type

of covers. Let the AHJ provide documentation that they are not required. Put the challenge on

to them!

Remember Fl is still using the 08 NEC. I believe Jeff has posted a trick question here. Not required now but will be when we adopt the next NEC.

Ask yourself, what type in install is this?

Come on, once the vendors plug in, if it is going to rain put some heaved duty plastic in over the whole thing and call it good, the in use covers will be broken off in 10 munities.

(B) Wet Locations.

(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

(B) Wet Locations.

Changed From 2008

406.9(B): Revised to include requirement for listed outlet box “hoods” at other than one- and two-family dwellings.

(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. For other than one- or two-family dwellings, an outlet box hood installed for this purpose shall be listed, and where installed on an enclosure supported from grade as described in 314.23(B) or as described in 314.23(F) shall be identified as “extra-duty.” All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking-type receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

chris kennedy said:
I was thinking its a 590 install and the in-use requirement is also new to 590 in the 11.
(2) Receptacles in Wet Locations. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall comply with 406.9(B)(1). See related ROP ROC

It is hard to tell what it is for. It appears to be on a roof?

Changed From 2008

590.4(D)(2): Added new requirement referencing 406.9(B)(1) for receptacles installed in wet locations.

jar546 said:
Now I'm confused. Such a simple requirement, yet....................... Hmmmmmm
Other than providing multiple outlets, what is the specific purpose of the assembly?

It appears to be mounted on a roof.

Does not appear to be on a roof to me, it is on a multi colored side walk, probably at some city square or open count yard. The main receptacle appears to be on a post and when they are having a bunch of vendors or tents, they roll the panel out for the event.Think like in at the home show or convention center with vendor booths.

Even with in use water proof cover the device boxes are 90 deg out of sync with vertical cover. The cords the venders plug in will be big box specials with black tape on them

TheCommish said:
Does not appear to be on a roof to me, it is on a multi colored side walk, probably at some city square or open count yard. The main receptacle appears to be on a post and when they are having a bunch of vendors or tents, they roll the panel out for the event.Think like in at the home show or convention center with vendor booths.Even with in use water proof cover the device boxes are 90 deg out of sync with vertical cover. The cords the venders plug in will be big box specials with black tape on them
I see the casters now and you are right it is a colored brick area.

jar546 said:
Now I'm confused. Such a simple requirement, yet....................... Hmmmmmm
Pretty simple IMO, in use requirements not applicable to a temp install in Fl at this time. FWIW, we use them on all temp installs due to the fact that we don't stock flip covers at the shop anymore.

2008 NEC

If Article 590 applied it states that

590.2 All Wiring Installations.(A) Other Articles. Except as specifically modified in this

article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent

wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.
I don't think that 590 applies because it says

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel. Ground-faultprotection for personnel for all temporary wiring installations

shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and (B). This section

shall apply only to temporary wiring installations used to supply

temporary power to equipment used by personnel during

construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of

buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities
Whatever articles apply, I think that 406.8 would be included.

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.(B) Wet Locations.

(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location.

15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed

in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is

weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is

inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt

nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant

type.
If the attachment plug is not inserted, the receptacle shall be weatherproof. If the attachment plug is inserted, the receptacle shall be weatherproof. With the little doors, the receptacle is legal as long as the doors remain closed. As soon as it is in use, it is not weatherproof.

I think that there are other styles of receptacle that are weatherproof on their own. The cord and plug in the picture might be an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheCommish said:
Does not appear to be on a roof to me, it is on a multi colored side walk, probably at some city square or open count yard. The main receptacle appears to be on a post and when they are having a bunch of vendors or tents, they roll the panel out for the event.Think like in at the home show or convention center with vendor booths.Even with in use water proof cover the device boxes are 90 deg out of sync with vertical cover. The cords the venders plug in will be big box specials with black tape on them
You are correct is location and use. Quite the sleuth...

I say 525 is most applicable to this as 590 is for temporary installations most associated with construction, demolition and emergency shelter needs. So, if you agree with that, would the "bubble", in-use covers be required? Keeping in mind 2008 NEC