• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

GFCI outlet in commercial bathroom?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I see this a lot, no GFCI in a commercial bathroom to the point I do not think it's required and have been told it's only a residential requirement. 210.8 (B) (1) bathrooms.

Does a commercial building bathroom have the option to not install a GFCI outlet?

The GFCI requirement for non-dwelling bathrooms goes back to the 1993 NEC.

Pcinspector1 said:
Does a commercial building bathroom have the option to not install a GFCI outlet?
No, if you install a receptacle in a commercial bathroom it must be GFCI protected.

There is no requirement for a receptacle to be installed in a commercial bathroom though, that would be a design issue.

Chris

raider1,

Thanks for the back-up, I agree that it's not require but if an outlet is installed in a commercial bathroom it has to be GFCI protected!

Pc1

$ $ $

Pcinspector1 asked:

Yes, they DO have the option to not install a GFCI [ rated ] outlet. All of the

lights are installed in non-GFCI rated " outlets ", however, if they want to install

a receptacle, then they are required to be installed on a GFCI rated circuit

[ see Art. 210.8(B)(1), in the `08 NEC ]. There IS an Exception to this

requirement though! Refer to Art. 517.21 - - hospital critical care areas.

$ $ $

raider1 said:
No, if you install a receptacle in a commercial bathroom it must be GFCI protected.There is no requirement for a receptacle to be installed in a commercial bathroom though, that would be a design issue.

Chris
Yeah, what he said

I agree... if it's there, it must be GFCI protected. There's no requirement to have one.