• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Girder or Beam

I have always thought of them as one and the same myself.

Definition of GIRDER

: a horizontal main structural member (as in a building or bridge) that supports vertical loads and that consists of a single piece or of more than one piece bound together

Definition of BEAM

: a long piece of heavy often squared timber suitable for use in construction

Girders are collector beams.

Girders support beams.

Sometimes "Girders and beams" are mislabled as purlins.

purlin is a horizontal structural member in a roof.

I've always thought of a girder as a big *** beam. From the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction: Girder- A large or principal beam of steel, reinforced concrete, or timber; used to support concentrated loads at isolated points along its length.

Rio said:
I've always thought of a girder as a big *** beam. From the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction: Girder- A large or principal beam of steel, reinforced concrete, or timber; used to support concentrated loads at isolated points along its length.
Yes

Girders are collector beams.

On an Engineer's website I found these descriptions to differentiate between the two.

A Girder is a member that has other members tying into the side of it.

A Beam is a meember that has other members bearing on top of it.

I have always wondered about that when reading the Girder and Header (beam) spans in the Tables.

I have a lot of framers attempting to use double 2 X 10s and 12s to span garages/over long spans of living rooms etc., and use them for purlin brace supports in attics.

A girder can have beams on it, think about a dropped basement girder (a type of beam) with lapped floor joists (joists are beams too!) on top of it. It is a type of beam that carries other beams or loads

girder: a horizontal main structural member (as in a building or bridge) that supports vertical loads and that consists of a single piece or more than one piece bound together. from websters

daniel webster was a statesmen, noah webster was the wordsmith