• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Girder truss + 2x10 top & bottom chord

sunyaer

I saw this note in a house design drawing: girder truss + 2x10 top & bottom chord. What does the note mean, does it mean "provide a girder truss and add 2x10 to top & bottom chord"? What is the purpose of adding 2x10? What is the requirement of nailing?

I wonder if he thought or used term girder truss meaning steel, and the 2x10s were for nailing joists, etc , to? Assume 2x10s attached to chords (flanges) with carriage bolts or similar.

You have a mystery.

Not seeing the drawings, could it be horizontal - flat - on top and bottom of truss girder for lateral bracing?

You have a mystery.

Not seeing the drawings, could it be horizontal - flat - on top and bottom of truss girder for lateral bracing?
Yes, flat roof. Girder trusses are hanging trusses in perpendicular direction. And the drawing indicates girder trusses are pre-engineered and pre-manufactured. Would the added 2x10 are being used to provide hanging points?

So the 2x10s could be flat for mounting hangers for rafters or jousts perpendicular to the girder truss? Bottom so maybe box it in.

You have any truss fabricators you're friendly with and can call and ask? I'll bet they know what's being asked for.

What is the purpose of the 2x10? I have no idea. I have never seen a 2x10 added to a girder truss. The only reason I can think of to add one would be to decrease deflection in the girder, but an easier (and likely cheaper) was to accomplish this would be to decrease the acceptable deflection of the member in the design software.

What is the nailing requirement? Structurally, the girder truss meets all the requirements, the 2x10 is just extra lumber. Unless it is supporting a load of its own, there is no nailing requirements.

There is no truss detail. The engineer of record calls for pre-engineered truss on his drawings.
The engineer or architect of record needs to explain his/her drawings, by providing more information, IMHO.

There is no truss detail. The engineer of record calls for pre-engineered truss on his drawings.
I have called the truss manufacturer before, and the in-house engineer has been very helpful.
Never seen a 2x10. Sometimes I see 2x6 or plywood to be added, these are fixes for damaged trusses.
Let us know what you find, i'm curious now.

I have called the truss manufacturer before, and the in-house engineer has been very helpful.
Never seen a 2x10. Sometimes I see 2x6 or plywood to be added, these are fixes for damaged trusses.
Let us know what you find, i'm curious now.
The designer explained that the intent is to use 2x10 top and bottom chord. The "+" sign is very confusing.