• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Girls Softball Team Building

mtlogcabin,

Thank you for your input!

It has been my experience that athletic program participants DO receive grading on their

performance, both on & off the field. I could be wrong, but that is how I have perceived it.

Respectfully, but we will have to disagree on this topic. I; as well as the RDP, are viewing it

as an "E" Occ. Group, until s/he provides me something else to review & consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just trying to save your tax payers some money on this project.

Why not ask the school if their athletic program is also an academic program and will the facility be used for educational purposes. Don't tell them it has to do with the cost of the project. That way you will get an unbiased answer and might give you a the DP a different perspective on the project. Then again you may already be on the right track and I am running on a different one

globetrekker - can you share a plan or elevation view with us? It might help us to see what is being proposed.

At the moment, I am agreeing with mtlogcabin on this one. A maintenance building is on school property but is most likely not classified as E. Could the locker rooms be considered a Utility use group? How about A-3 --> assembly intended for recreation?

Possible solution:

Depending on the concession stand size, call it a Business group; then have the RDP adjust the plan so the mezzanine announcer area (Business group) is open to the concession area. Use 505.4, Exception 1 to exempt the announcer area from being physically open to the concession area.

505.4, Exception:

1. Mezzanines or portions thereof are not required to be open to the room in which the mezzanines are located, provided that the occupant load of the aggregate area of the enclosed space does not exceed 10.

If the remainder of the building remains an E use group, provide a 2 hour fire separation between the E and B uses for a mixed separated use. The building construction could then be type 5B.

Would the code allow the announcer box (business group) to be separated from the first floor by a 2 hour assembly (separated mixed use) to allow a second floor? The Assembly / Educational group would be on the first floor and could be non-separated mixed use with the office and concession stand.

Just trying to save your tax payers some money on this project.Why not ask the school if their athletic program is also an academic program and will the facility

be used for educational purposes. Don't tell them it has to do with the cost of the project. That

way you will get an unbiased answer and might give you a the DP a different perspective on the

project. Then again you may already be on the right track and I am running on a different one
Thank you for the kind thoughts of cost savings to the taxpayers!

FWIW, ..we are saving the taxpayers money, because I am doing this code & plan review

for free. While the submitted prelim. plans came from an RDP, ..the high school will get the

plan & code review, the construction permit and all inspections (if there are any) for free.

This state has a School (strangle-hold) Monopoly on the taxpayers in a lot of ways. I do

not have any kids in school in this state or anywhere else, but I am forced to pay school

taxes.

I will not have the privilege of communicating with the school district in any manner, but I

can assure you that cost is not problem for the project. The school district regularly expects

to get everything for free, ..ya know, because it's for the children! :eek:topic

But I digress..

My thoughts on the educational side of this topic, is that the team participants ARE getting

an educational influence & structured environment from being on the softball team itself.

It just may not fit the traditional idea of "in a classroom" setting. There are a lot of

educational environments that are not in a traditional classroom setting. Some are the

classroom, and some are the Laboratory settings.

From a code perspective though, I still believe that this building is a Type "E" Occ. Group.

Mech,

Thank you as well for the input!

Not sure if I can scan the document & upload it here.

Your suggested options ARE intriguing I DO have to admit! Right now I am snowed under with

multiple other plan reviews and other. The proposed design is currently in the hands of the RDP.

I believe to be prudent for me to leave it there until instructed to do otherwise. ;)

FWIW, I DO admit that I am having difficulty in trying to label this structure in something

other than what I believe it to be. An "E" vs a "B / U / E / A-?".

I encourage the readers to keep the comments coming though! I AM very interested in finding

a workable solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
A plan or sketch would go a long way towards clearing this up. The overall occupancy of a building can be an extremely vague question sometimes depending on how complex the design is. Is this new portion of the facility physically connected with lecture type classroom space? If so, then it is most likely an E. If not, I would say A-3 or B depending on what other uses are contained besides the locker rooms themselves.

The classification of E has nothing at all to do with it being on school property, or even that it serves students. A student union building with meeting rooms and such is clearly an A. The admin building is clearly a B. The maintenance shed by the ball field is probably a U or maybe S.

Take a closer look at the s.f. values for the different uses present in the building. If there are no rooms set up for lecture or "shop" style instruction, it is not an E occupancy.