• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Girls Softball Team Building

globe trekker

Greetings to all again!

I am seeking input on a "new" (High school) Girls Softball Team Building. This building will

have the Girls ADA/Accessible Locker Room & associated restroom, ..other ADA/Accessible

restrooms, (Men's & Women's), coaches office & locker room, ..a Concessions Area and an

upper level Mech. Room & Announcers Area. The total Net Area of the bldg. is approx.

2,600 sq. ft. on the ground floor, and 370 sq. ft. on the upper level, ..including the stairway.

This building will be part of a "new" Girls Softball Field/complex at an existing high school.

QUESTION # 1: What occupancy group most closely fits this bldg.? I'm looking at a

Type "E" possibly.

QUESTION # 2: Since this is a high school type of building, are accomodations for

the visiting team "required" (i.e. - the visiting team's players/coaches)?

As always, ..please cite the applicable code sections.

Thanks for your input! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

SECTION 305

EDUCATIONAL GROUP E

305.1 Educational Group E. Educational Group E occupancy

includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a

portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for

educational purposes through the 12th grade. Religious educational

rooms and religious auditoriums, which are accessory to

places of religious worship in accordance with Section 303.1

and have occupant loads

you may to classify it as something other than Group E if sprinklers (water supply and cost) is an issue. The same facility could be a Parks Department building and be a Group B if the occupany loads of the rooms are less than 50. The code does not state that you have to provide equal facilities for the visitors.

Thanks "cda" & "Coug Dad" for the responses!

Each room/space within this building will; according to the prelim. plans, have an occ. load

of less than 50. The building will be on the grounds of the existing high school, so not a

Parks Dept. Bldg.

There will be associated bleachers and Team Dugouts for each team and a calculated

plumbing fixture count for both sets of bleachers, ..each team, Concessions workers and

others. Just seems kinda odd that no locker room(s) are provided for the visiting team.

QUESTION # 3: If no accomodations are "required" for the teams in this instance, why are

there accomodations for visiting teams for football & basketball teams?

Again, ..thanks for your input!

Just being nice to the other team

Strange not provided???

Maybe when this school goes to another school to play they may just find the visitors locker room quarantined!!!

Globe-

You may want to ask the School Districts' Athletic Director about required facilities for opposing teams. There may be requirements in the States' Interscholastic Athletic Association bylaws that you may want to at least consider that they would be aware of.

ZIG

zigmark,

Hadn't thought of that! I will send an inquiry thru the comm. channels and see what I get.

I will post the answer when/if I receive one.

This Forum is soooooooooooooooooooo.. cool!

Another issue has arisen with the proposed building.

I am leaning towards classifying the structure in the Type "E" occupancy group.

If I do that, ..the building would be limited to one story per Table 503 in the

2006 IBC.

QUESTION # 4: If/when the building is designated a Type "E", is there a workable solution

to having the 2nd story (i.e. - fire rated ceiling / floor assembly, ..heavy timber type

construction, other?).

cda,

Looks like either a sprinkler system, or Type III or Type IV construction would be

"the fix".

Can it be designed as a mezzanine?
In looking at Section 505 - Mezzanines, 2006 IBC, ...in my application I do not believe that

the proposed upper floor area will meet the requirements of a mezzanine, as it is currently

designed on the prelim. plans.

Might be cheaper to redesign then sprinkler.

Or just call it a "B"

Training and skill development not within a school or academic program

The activities do not take place within an educational building. The activities consist of changing clothes and maybe a shower. Hardly educational activities.

This is an athletic program not an academic program.

mtlogcabin,

The building IS associated with a High School. Please see my OP! The "B" Occ. Group designation

would not work for the current floor plan, as the occupant loading for a "B" Occ. Group would not

fit in the current floor plan sizes.

Thank you for the suggestion of possibly redesigning to a "B" Occ. Group designation. The RDP

may end up doing just that to lower the costs. The currently submitted, "prelim." floor plan &

sizes indicate an "E" Occ. Group designation to me. Apparently to the RDP as well, as he has a

concern from Table 503, and the limitation of a single story in the "E" Occ. Group.

The "B" Occ. Group designationwould not work for the current floor plan, as the occupant loading for a "B" Occ. Group would not

fit in the current floor plan sizes.
I am confused, could you explain your comment specifically what does not fit.

Most buildings at a school are classified as E, even though they under other conditions would carry a different occupancy type??

globe trekker said:
QUESTION # 3: If no accomodations are "required" for the teams in this instance, why are

there accomodations for visiting teams for football & basketball teams?
Yes, those are not only provided for visiting football and basketball teams but they are provided as a courtesy and not as a code requirement. Code define how things are built into what specifications. If there are any rules requiring visiting team accommodations we probably issued by the state athletic commission or other such organization.

If this building was at a kids sports complex instead of a school how would you classify it? Just because this is on school property does not require it to be an "E".

mtlogcabin said:
If this building was at a kids sports complex instead of a school how would you classify it? Just because this is on school property does not require it to be an "E".
Why not.....

cda said:
Why not.....
What educational purpose is the building being used for? Is there a classroom area to provide instructions? The code allows a lot of the different occupancy types A, B, E, F & S to be lumped into the "E" classification within a school building for ease of design and code application nowhere does it require stand alone buildings that do not provide an educational use to be classified as an "E". Example If a school constructed an equipment storage building on site for the lawn maintenance staff it would not be an "E". or just a concession stand building at the football field.

Classifying the building as an "E" is requiring a higher construction type or sprinklers for 350 sq ft of mechanical equipment and an announcers booth because they are located on an upper level.

I am confused, could you explain your comment specifically what does not fit.
Thank you for the question!

The (electronically) submitted prelim. plans indicate 741 sq. ft. in the girls Locker Room. If

we use the "E" designation, that would be 741 / 50 sq. ft. per person occ. load

(from Table 1004.1.1) = 14.82 occs. = 15 occs. (Total). If the "B" designation is used, that

would be 741 / 100 = 7.41 occs. = 8 occs. There are more than 8 occs. on the team.

The floor space could not accomodate the number of players on the team.

I have not yet heard back from the RDP on their initial design.

Again, another good question!

Or just call it a "B". Training and skill development not within a school or academicprogram
IMO, the Girls Softball Team would be considered part of the school's (athletic) program

that teaches them how to play, coach & manage the team. How is the team not a part of

the high school program? :confused:

The occupancy assigned to the building does not determine the occupancy load factor for each room within the building.

Look at Table 1004.1.1

Locker rooms located in any building occupancy group are 50 gross.

The occupancy load is based on the use in each room and is how you determine the total. In your case you have, Office space at 100 gross, locker rooms at 50 gross, a concession area at probably 100 gross, Mechanical room at 300 gross and an announcers booth at 100 gross or actually count number of work stations for the area.

SECTION 305

EDUCATIONAL GROUP E

305.1 Educational Group E. Educational Group E occupancy

includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a

portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for

educational purposes through the 12th grade

Sports programs are not educational academic classes. There are no grades given, no educational purpose within the program, is there teaching and instructions on the field sure, .

If this project was an addition to an existing school building then I would agree it should be an "E". However in your case I believe it can be a "B" and be compliant with the code.

So if you have a stand alone basketball only, school indoor arena

Is it an "E"

Or. "A"

mtlogcabin said:
Sports programs are not educational academic classes. There are no grades given, no educational purpose within the program, is there teaching and instructions on the field sure
Not always true.

I got a grade when I played football.

A High school Girls Softball Team

It is an E