• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glossary of Terms

Careful! Do not hit the quick print button on that document.... trust me, it is not a quick print!

ZIG

No, they do not.

Years ago, I actually copied and pasted all the ICC definitions from every single code into one PDF and alphabetized them. I retained any terms that were defined differently in different codes. It was quite a project...

In publishing later with ICC, I strongly encouraged them to publish a "dictionary" and sent them what I had done. I was not asking for anything, just giving a suggestion. They did not think it was a good idea.

I am happy to email the PDF to you if you would like it. I find it helpful. It is outdated (2006). It's also 121 pages.

zigmark said:
Careful! Do not hit the quick print button on that document.... trust me, it is not a quick print!ZIG
Hopefully you printed it double sided. Save yourself over 700 sheets of paper.

Glenn said:
No, they do not.Years ago, I actually copied and pasted all the ICC definitions from every single code into one PDF and alphabetized them. I retained any terms that were defined differently in different codes. It was quite a project...

In publishing later with ICC, I strongly encouraged them to publish a "dictionary" and sent them what I had done. I was not asking for anything, just giving a suggestion. They did not think it was a good idea.

I am happy to email the PDF to you if you would like it. I find it helpful. It is outdated (2006). It's also 121 pages.
They have a committee trying to figure out how to make money off it

Glenn said:
No, they do not.Years ago, I actually copied and pasted all the ICC definitions from every single code into one PDF and alphabetized them. I retained any terms that were defined differently in different codes. It was quite a project...

It seems to me that you posted a link to this pdf about a year ago. I sent it to several coworkers.

They did publish a book called I-codes Quick Finder, I have the 2003 version. The first part of the book has all the definitions from every code book and each definition indicates what book it came from (IBC, IRC, IPMC, etc.). The second part of the book contains 65 of the most referenced tables and figures from the codes.

I loved the book for the dictionary purpose not necessarily for the tables. My guess is I'm the only person that bought it so they quit publishing it.

Thanks all. I am planning to post the link on my blog, and wanted to include a link to the ICC list as well if there was such a thing. I think the NFPA glossary is pretty helpful. I would love to see the ICC's definition of "bolt locks" as used in the IBC, because at first glance people think the code is referring to deadbolts, when actually it is referring to flush bolts and surface bolts - a completely different animal.