• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ground Rods for Temporary Power on a Construction Site [VIDEO]

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Are ground rods required under the 2017 NEC for temporary power as a sub-feed for a construction site? Would any part of NEC 250.50 apply?

NEC 250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).

(A) Grounding Electrode. A building(s) or structure(s)supplied by a feeder (s) or branch circuit (s) shall have a grounding electrode system and grounding electrode conductor installed in accordance with Part III of Article 250. Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode (s) required in 250.50 shall be installed.

Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire blanch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non-current-carrying metal parts of equipment.

Nec definition:
BUILDING. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls. (CMP-1)
STRUCTURE. N/A

CBC definition:
BUILDING. Any structure utilized or intended for supporting or sheltering any occupancy.
STRUCTURE. That which is built or constructed.

So what do you want to classify the temp. power panel. Is it a building? A structure? If it were a supplied by a service it would it be a structure? It is being supplied by a feeder from a service. Does that mean that it is a sub-panel?

Nec definition:
BUILDING. A structure that stands alone or that is separated from adjoining structures by fire walls. (CMP-1)
STRUCTURE. N/A
The NEC does have a definition of STRUCTURE:

(2020) STRUCTURE. That which is built or constructed, other than equipment.

It is arguable that a panel on a pole is just equipment, and so it is not a structure under the NEC. Certainly that is true for something like a mobile home pedestal, which is a single piece of equipment designed to have the bottom part buried in the ground to support the above grade portion.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: ICE
Made you look.

The "other than Equipment" says it all.

It's all equipment.

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as apart of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

Last edited:
I say no ground rods because it is a construction site and the temp power is not attached to a structure. What do you say?
This setup is fed from a service, is not a building or structure and would be installed as a sub-panel. If this were fed by the utility directly it would be a service and require a grounding electrode system. That it is a construction site, temporary power and not attached to a building has nothing to do with whether a grounding electrode system is required.

This setup is fed from a service, is not a building or structure and would be installed as a sub-panel. If this were fed by the utility directly it would be a service and require a grounding electrode system. That it is a construction site, temporary power and not attached to a building has nothing to do with whether a grounding electrode system is required.
It is just as described, not a service. This is a subfeed from a panel located on a structure on the site.

Here's a wrinkle in the fabric of the construction universe:

590.6 (B)(2)(a) Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program. A written assured equipment grounding conductor program continuously enforced at the site by one or more designated persons to ensure that equipment grounding conductors for all cord sets, receptacles that are not a part of the permanent wiring of the building or structure, and equipment connected by cord and plug are installed and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of 250.114, 250.138, 406.4(C), and 590.4(D).

(a) The following tests shall be performed on all cord sets, receptacles that are not part of the permanent wiring ofthe building or structure, and cord-and-plug-connected equipment required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor:

All equipment grounding conductors shall be tested for continuity and shall be electrically continuous.
Each receptacle and attachment plug shall be tested for correct attachment of the equipment grounding conductor. The equipment grounding conductor shall be connected to its proper terminal.

All required tests shall be performed as follows:
a. Before first use on site
b. When there is evidence of damage
c. Before equipment is returned to service following any repairs
d. At intervals not exceeding 3 months

The tests required in 590.6(B)(2)(a) shall be recorded and made available to the authority having jurisdiction. The assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be documented and made available to the authority having jurisdiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've quoted 590.6(B)(2) out of context. It is a sometimes-available alternative to the basic rules of 590.6(A) and (B)(1) that requires GFCI protection for receptacles used for temporary power. It is not a general requirement.

Cheers, Wayne

590.6 (B)(2)(a) Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program. A written assured equipment grounding conductor program continuously enforced at the site by one or more designated persons to ensure that equipment grounding conductors for all cord sets, receptacles that are not a part of the permanent wiring of the building or structure, and equipment connected by cord and plug are installed and maintained in accordance with the applicable requirements of 250.114, 250.138,406.4(C), and 590.4(D).

(a) The following tests shall be performed on all cord sets, receptacles that are not part of the permanent wiring ofthe building or structure, and cord-and-plug-connected equipment required to be connected to an equipment grounding conductor:

All equipment grounding conductors shall be tested for continuity and shall be electrically continuous.
Each receptacle and attachment plug shall be tested for correct attachment of the equipment grounding conductor. The equipment grounding conductor shall be connected to its proper terminal.

All required tests shall be performed as follows:
a. Before first use on site
b. When there is evidence of damage
c. Before equipment Ls returned to service following any repairs
d. At intervals not exceeding 3 months

The tests required in 590.6(B)(2)(a) shall be recorded and made available to the authority having jurisdiction. The assured equipment grounding conductor program shall be documented and made available to the authority having jurisdiction.
I don't see this as a wrinkle, this is just another requirement for temporary systems. It is for the EGC, not the GEC.

I don't see this as a wrinkle, this is just another requirement for temporary systems.
It is not a general requirement. It is a possible alternative to providing otherwise required GFCI protection in some situations.

Cheers, Wayne

But isn't it outdoors? And isn't everything outdoors GFCI now anyway? Or is that just dwelling units?
The OP is outdoors, but the thread has drifted into general temporary installation rules.

Basically, if the only reason you would need GFCI is because it's a temporary installation, and it's not a construction site (other than limited cases), then you have the option to use an "Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program" in lieu of using GFCI.

Cheers, Wayne

The OP is outdoors, but the thread has drifted into general temporary installation rules.

Basically, if the only reason you would need GFCI is because it's a temporary installation, and it's not a construction site (other than limited cases), then you have the option to use an "Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program" in lieu of using GFCI.

Cheers, Wayne
And, in this case, they have opted to install all GFCI protected receptacles. The GFCI issue is a thread drift so I am still wondering what people think as to whether or not ground rods for a GES is required. As previously stated, I say no.

You've quoted 590.6(B)(2) out of context.
I just thought that it was interesting. It's one of those quirks found in the code that nobody has witnessed in the wild....well maybe you, as I am surprised at your expansive code knowledge.

Last edited:
I could call the "rack" a structure if I wanted to.....If it was solely being used for extension cords I likely wouldn't.....If it had any circuits going anywhere else I probably would...

I could call the "rack" a structure if I wanted to.....If it was solely being used for extension cords I likely wouldn't.....If it had any circuits going anywhere else I probably would...
The fact that this is from the 2017 makes all of the difference in the world compared to previous versions. Read your definitions.

And BTW....from the IBC....Which you have to go through to get to the NEC....
201.3 Terms defined in other codes. Where terms are not
defined in this code
and are defined in the International
Energy Conservation Code, International Fuel Gas Code,
International Fire Code, International Mechanical Code or
International Plumbing Code, such terms shall have the
meanings ascribed to them as in those codes

So you say that unistrut is equipment?
Yes, per the definition of Equipment and as discussed and confirmed by CMP-1, hence for the change in the definition of Structure for the 2017 NEC. The Code Making Panel 1 (CMP-1) specifically pointed out the phrase "...and the like" in the definition of equipment. One of the reasons the change to the definition of the word Structure even happened was to clarify that ground rods were not needed for situations such as the one presented in this thread.