• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Grounding electrode conductor

skipharper

Is the grounding electrode conductor required to be one continuous wire when connecting 2 ground rods seperated by not less then 6' or can with approved connectors, the wire between the first and second ground rods be a seperate wire. In other words contractor drove one rod and is required to drive a second. Does he need to replace the entire grounding elctrode conductor?

skipharper said:
Is the grounding electrode conductor required to be one continuous wire when connecting 2 ground rods seperated by not less then 6' or can with approved connectors, the wire between the first and second ground rods be a seperate wire. In other words contractor drove one rod and is required to drive a second. Does he need to replace the entire grounding elctrode conductor?
Does not need to be continuous between electrodes. Must be continuous from panel to first rod.

It only needs to be continuous to the first rod. 250.53©

E3608.2 Bonding jumper. The bonding jumper(s) used to connect the grounding electrodes together to form the grounding electrode system shall be installed in accordance with Sections E3610.2, and E3610.3, shall be sized in accordance with Section E3603.4, and shall be connected in the manner specified in Section E3611.1.

Note where clamps are listed for single conductors.

Francis

Are not the two rods considered one electrode?....silly question, but I thought that is why we drove 2, so we didn't have to measure resistance (megger?) on one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be mistaken but I don't think Megger makes equipment for testing the resistance of a grounding electrode.

ICE said:
I might be mistaken but I don't think Megger makes equipment for testing the resistance of a grounding electrode.
They do: Megger

And 'megger' is becoming a colloquial term, like jell-o, kleenex and sheetrock.

480sparky said:
They do: MeggerAnd 'megger' is becoming a colloquial term, like jell-o, kleenex and sheetrock.
We considered accepting similar meters. Then I observed a three point test and the NRTL explained that the three point test is the only reliable measure. As a result, my superiors do not accept those meters.

But you are right about Meggar making the equipment. The one I was asked to accept was made by Ideal....not cheap at all

The problem is that many people don't know that Megger is a brand name synonomous with the term Megaohmeter. These are not used for testing ground rods but as ICE stated a three point earth ground tester is the tool for it thast is made by Megger as well as other companies.

I have pretty much done away with 2 rods and used the rebar in the footers. Is that not being enforced-- NC does not enforce it but that is my MO. I did a 3 point test with 1 rod and got 898 ohms, 2 rods- 89 ohms and the CEE was 13 ohms. A world of difference so I do it that way and I wish they would enforce it here.

Interesting topic..

FWIW, we do not enforce the CEE here, but IMO, we should!

Dennis (and others),

Do you have any links or pics. to demonstrate how an accurate 3-point test

should be performed? Thanks!

If we could start performing & documenting the high resistance at the 2 ground

rods, we might could start getting the CEE's installed.

I'm not a fan of the 2 ground rods.

globe trekker said:
If we could start performing & documenting the high resistance at the 2 groundrods, we might could start getting the CEE's installed.

I'm not a fan of the 2 ground rods.

The NEC requires the CEE if the rebar is installed. Thus on a new home it is required but NC amended it or just decided not to require it. I hate that.

Three point testing is also called Fall of Potential and graphic is from this site. I think there is a 4 point tester also

06-3-point-test.jpg

The NEC requires the CEE if the rebar is installed. Thus on a new home it is required but NC amendedit or just decided not to require it. I hate that.
We do not enforce the CEE even though it is in our adopted 2008 NEC. It is not PC here to require

the contractors to actually comply with the adopted codes. It is what it is! :(

globe trekker said:
We do not enforce the CEE even though it is in our adopted 2008 NEC. It is not PC here to requirethe contractors to actually comply with the adopted codes. It is what it is! :(
not enforcing the code you are hired to enforce? someone needs to grow a couple in the interest of code enforcement.

"It is not PC here to require the contractors to actually comply with the adopted codes. It is what it is!"

That would totally suck going to work every day knowing you can't do your job. JMHO

The Ufer is part of the footing inspection in SW Florida. The only discrepancy is whether they really need a 4ga copper in the foundation or whether they can turn up a rebar into the wall and make the connection when they set the service disconnect.

Copper theft has made the "4ga copper in the pour" requirement more flexible for some AHJs.

I have really not heard a good reason why the turned up rebar is a bad idea.

ufer.jpg

Dennis said:
The NEC requires the CEE if the rebar is installed. Thus on a new home it is required but NC amended it or just decided not to require it. I hate that.
That is sort of pathetic that NC would amend that. Makes no sense and it it cheaper than driving ground rods. Stupidity at its finest.

There is no reason that the rebar cannot be turned up under the house in the crawl, (usually no cral in FA), or inside a wall. The connection point must be accessible. I have seen EC hook to the rebar underground but I understand that rebar is not rated for contact with earth and will rot away.

I always put 20' bare copper in the footer and also connect to the rebar. I guess if the rebar ever gives out the copper is still an electrode with 20' in the footer. I then bury the excess where the meter will be installed so no one steals the wire.

Dennis said:
There is no reason that the rebar cannot be turned up under the house in the crawl, (usually no cral in FA), or inside a wall. The connection point must be accessible. I have seen EC hook to the rebar underground but I understand that rebar is not rated for contact with earth and will rot away.I always put 20' bare copper in the footer and also connect to the rebar. I guess if the rebar ever gives out the copper is still an electrode with 20' in the footer. I then bury the excess where the meter will be installed so no one steals the wire.
Yep! I use to do the same thing and connect the rebar at 2 points too.

Dennis said:
You just had to one up me didn't you.
hmm3grin2orange.gif
No, just being honest. If it makes you feel better, I used #4 bare copper stranded which probably won't last as long as solid copper ;)

If I wanted you to feel real good, I would tell you I used insulated THWN ;)