• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Guard Code for Montréal, Québec, Canada.

tbz

Silver Member
Good morning north of the boarder, I have a fabricator asking me about the code requirements for his area of Canada, specifically Montréal, Québec, Canada.

I understand the basics of what is allowed and what is not but have no clue as to the actual code section numbers and text adopted in that region.

Looking for the specific information and possibly a link to where it can be reviewed or downloaded.

Thank you for your help on this - Regards Tom

Quebec runs on its own code, but it's based on national building code.

Big question: what's the building? Residential requirements are different from commercial, and there are relaxations for industrial uses.

Thank you for the link tmurray,

I would say both, the fabricator who asked me for the information mainly does restoration work and works from detailed architectural prints for his clients. Recently they have taken first steps to start working on designs of their own, and as thus, want to understand the specifics within the local building code requirements.

IG, they are looking for both commercial and residential,

Thank you for the link tmurray,

I would say both, the fabricator who asked me for the information mainly does restoration work and works from detailed architectural prints for his clients. Recently they have taken first steps to start working on designs of their own, and as thus, want to understand the specifics within the local building code requirements.

IG, they are looking for both commercial and residential,
In simple terms (with National Building Code references - likely mirrored in the Quebec Code, but double check)

Baluster spacing must be no more than 10 cm (4") apart [NBC 9.8.8.5]
Guard heights for commercial: 107 cm (42") throughout
Guard heights for residential: 90 cm (36") for interior areas and exterior areas <1.8m (70 7/8") above the surface below; 107cm (42" for areas higher.) [9.8.8.3]
90 cm for *residential* stairs. [9.8.8.3(4)]
Guards serving a drop more than 4.2 (13'9") must be designed so they cannot be easily climbed. [NBC 9.8.8.6]

The big mistakes I see are
a) residential guard heights used on commercial buildings. A residential deck, 1 metre (3ft) from the ground can use a 36" (90cm) guard. If that's a deck on a commercial building (office, store), the guard must be 107cm (42") high.
b) Exits. The allowance for 90 cm (36") guards on stairs does NOT include required exit stairs.

Hi,
just like Vancouver, Montreal is its own animal.
It makes sense too, for it has a specific architectural fingerprint found nowhere else at that scale. I remember learning case studies in school where an owner/contractor replaced exterior guards with new aluminum. If I recall properly, the neighborhood was outraged and forced the AHJ to enforce their form and character bylaw and made them install new custom-forged iron guards.
It might be worth contacting a Montreal building official.

Hi,
just like Vancouver, Montreal is its own animal.
It makes sense too, for it has a specific architectural fingerprint found nowhere else at that scale. I remember learning case studies in school where an owner/contractor replaced exterior guards with new aluminum. If I recall properly, the neighborhood was outraged and forced the AHJ to enforce their form and character bylaw and made them install new custom-forged iron guards.
It might be worth contacting a Montreal building official.
I thought Quebec had a province wide code. I'm wondering if the issue wasn't the building code, but a heritage by-law.

I think Vancouver might stand alone in having a building code specific to their municipality.

I thought Quebec had a province wide code. I'm wondering if the issue wasn't the building code, but a heritage by-law.

I think Vancouver might stand alone in having a building code specific to their municipality.
pretty sure Montreal had a charter similar to Vancouver allowing it to pick and choose within the provincial building code. I cannot find any reference backing my statement for the life of me. Only mention I have found is a short wiki page saying Vancouver is the only canadian city able to do it.1

Regardless, Most Quebec AJH do not conduct building inspection. It's all about zonage and cultural preservation in my experience, although I never worked specificaly in Montreal.

Good morning MAc Moonfire,

This question came to me from a member of one of the industry associations I represent as a resource for their members to contact me with questions.

This member happened to be in Canada, which I understand the adopted basics, but not so familiar with the specific code nor the section numbers.

Thus, my request which I forwarded the posted information and a link to this thread to that member, so they could review as a lurker.

Thank you for your help and the interest.

Regards Tom