• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Guardian solutions fire suppression?

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
We have been asked to approve these where a Type I hood is not installed in existing buildings, residential units, older church with residential appliances which was legal under the legacy codes.

http://www.theguardiansolution.com/

Pros and cons please

Don't want to give an okay to a worthless product

I haven't seen those in our AHJ. Seems like a low-end ANSUL system. Being that it is "Thunderduck Production" doesn't instill confidence, but I guess when in doubt ask for an ICC report.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Being that it is "Thunderduck Production" doesn't instill confidence, but I guess when in doubt ask for an ICC report.
I think that's the web designers name...honestly, I've been looking for a residential system for my next kitchen upgrade, and this has me thinking now. If listed/approved, I'd definitely approve it for certain applications that did not required a type I hood.

mtlogcabin said:
We have been asked to approve these where a Type I hood is not installed in existing buildings, residential units, older church with residential appliances which was legal under the legacy codes.http://www.theguardiansolution.com/

Pros and cons please

Don't want to give an okay to a worthless product
Not sure what you are saying

If one of the above conditions is in play, would you say a type I hood is required??

If so, no this system is not an alternative

The other thing to look at is it is designed for residental setting typically meaning one four burner small stove

So would look to see if the manufacter specs a maximum size of cooking area

The model number is a G300 A Wet Chemical Extingulsher. They claim a UL listing, but do not claim a UL300 listing. The wet chem is Ansul's Ansulex. Their claims are not false, but they seem to skirt to close to not true. They say is for residential use, and for places without a Type 1 hood. Then say it can be used in kitchens in churches and care facilities.

They called me some time ago. I asked about UL300 and they kept skirting the UL300 questions. I declined to sell the product.