1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Guards on a deck

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by alaskajoe, Aug 15, 2019 at 6:31 PM.

1. alaskajoe

alaskajoe Registered User

A deck needs guards if it is over 30" from grade anywhere within 36'. A deck 36" from grade with 14" high planter boxes going 36" out from the deck. Could this be interpreted as being higher than 30" from grade. My argument is what happens if the planter boxes are empty. A person falling off deck would get hurt worse than just falling 36" to the ground. People get creative when they don't want to put guards up to protect view. View over safety is not wise. Any Thoughts.

2. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Are the planter beds full at time of final inspection?

Glenn and Inspector Gift like this.
  3. alaskajoe

alaskajoe Registered User

They could be I suppose

4. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

If full, it meets the intent of the code.

Personally, I'd inform the homeowner of the code, the risk with their approach, and note the condition (and maybe snap a photo) for our internal notes when I pass the inspection.

5. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Won't empty boxes fill with snow which is heavier than people when it freezes?