• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Halloween Haunted Houses

Welcome Leonard!

I never chimed in on this thread, just let it run its course. We typically work with the Fire Marshall to make sure we have as safe as possible venues when this occurs.

Don't have a dog in the fight, be I am curious, where/how did you search to search to verify that has been no incidents, ever?

Interesting to read through the thread and see some names that are no longer with the forum..........one reason or another.

Again Welcome!

So are we already preping for Halloween 2018

They are still assembly occupancies, normally

So have to meet those standards

someone mentioned earlier in this thread to simply not allow them. Probably just joking but i once worked in a jurisdiction that almost did just that. they basically had an ordinance that stated that any haunted house or similar amusement had to be sponsored and receive a certain percentage, (don't remember how much) of reciepts, by a charitable organization. it seems there used to be an active Jaycee chapter that used this event as their primary fund raiser. This ordinance also covered the traveling circuses and a few other of these types of events.

As a side note, i was a former member of the Jaycees in two other communities years before i was a code inspector/ official. In one community we were very lightly regulated. Visqueen everywhere, carpeting on walls, no tour guide, exit path demarcation, emergency light or alarms. In the other community, although heavily regulated, the fire marshall was extremely helpful but at the same time he was very tough.

I have tried to echo the second fire marshal's approach in everything i now do as a code official. He doesn't know this but he became sort of my mentor.