• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hallway vs corridor

Existing structures with level 2 alterations:

705.6 Dead-end corridors. Dead-end corridors in any

work area shall not exceed 35 feet (10 670 mm).

Exceptions:

1. Where dead-end corridors of greater length are permitted

by the International Building Code.

2. In other than Group A and H occupancies, the maximum

length of an existing dead-end corridor shall

be 50 feet (15 240 mm) in buildings equipped

throughout with an automatic fire alarm system

installed in accordance with the International Build-

ing Code.

3. In other than Group A and H occupancies, the maximum

length of an existing dead-end corridor shall

be 70 feet (21 356 mm) in buildings equipped

throughout with an automatic sprinkler system

installed in accordance with the International Build-

ing Code.

4. In other than Group A and H occupancies, the maximum

length of an existing, newly constructed, or

extended dead-end corridor shall not exceed 50 feet

(15 240 mm) on floors equipped with an automatic

sprinkler system installed in accordance with the

International Building Code.

I have a situation where I have Type 1A construction in California for a high rise. We have elevator lobbies we are maintaining with a 1 hour rating, however we would like to not continue the 1 hour corridors and have non-rated corridors. The building official says since we have to egress through the elevator lobby to get from one exit to the other that we cannot go from non-rated to rated and then back to non-rated. Is there any exception to this rule. CBC section 1018.6 says fire-resistance corridors shall be continuous from point of entry to exit. Is an elevator lobby part of this corridor

Check calif chap 7 to see what it says

4. Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required where the building is protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2. This exception shall not apply to the following:

4.1. Group I-2 occupancies;

4.2. Group I-3 occupancies; and

4.3. High-rise buildings.

As RLGA has stated there are two types of Corridors. Rated and Non Rated. A Non Rated would be akin to the UBC Hallway.

The point at which point does it matter with a Corridor is when it is required (and rated) as part of the means of egress. You have entered into a level of protection that you can only exit from and into an equal or greater level of protection a)stair enclosure, b)passageway (horz type of stair) c)horizontal exit or d) and exit. Exceptions to this are in the forms of lobbies and the like in a limited manner.

Otherwise this Corridor (non rated) is just another room.