• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handbook to the Uniform Building Code (1979 Edition)

RLGA

SAWHORSE
Does anyone know if the former ICBO published a book titled Handbook to the Uniform Building Code: An illustrative commentary for the 1979 edition of the UBC? I have a copy for the 1994 UBC edition, but I'm not sure if one was published for the 1979 edition.

If there was one published, does anyone have a copy in their library? I need a copy or scan of the section regarding emergency egress and exit windows (Section 1204).

Thank you in advance.

I have a 1982 UBC Application/Interpretation Manual which has a few questions on 1204. Can you be more specific on the info you are looking for?

yes Ron I do have a copy

1997 Handbook to the Uniform Building Code: An Illustrative Commentary - Google Books

1997 Handbook to the Uniform Building Code: An Illustrative Commentary

books

Do you need a section copied?

I have a case where emergency egress windows are a player. The building was built under the 1979 UBC. I would like to get ICBO commentary/opinion based on that specific code to back up my own opinion reqarding the requirements for emergency egress windows.

by the way, the Handbook to the Uniform Building Code: An illustrative commentary for the 1979 edition of the UBC, does not have a 1204.

Egress windows are in 310.

Mark:

Thanks for the fax, but that was for the 1997 UBC. I'm looking for the commentary to the 1979 UBC, which does have a Section 1204.

RLGA said:
Mark:Thanks for the fax, but that was for the 1997 UBC. I'm looking for the commentary to the 1979 UBC, which does have a Section 1204.
Sorry my dyslexia, the earliest hand book I have is the 1988

I have read that section of the 1979 edition and would ask what the issue is that needs claification. I don't have a handbook but I believe it was published as an Application / Interpretation Manual. The earliest I have is 1985. What is the particulars on your concerns? Can you provide specifics. There are many on this board that would like to offer opinions/advise.

The defendant's attorney would like some corroborating documents that support my opinion.

This is in my "Dwelling Construction Under the UBC 1976 Edition"

It's residential not commercial.

Emergency Exits

Every sleeping room below the fourth story shall have at least one

operable window or exterior door approved for emergency egress or

rescue. The units shall be operable from the inside to provide a full clear

opening without the use of separate tools.

All egress or rescue windows from sleeping rooms shall have a minimum

net clear opening of 5.7 square feet. The minimum net clear opening

height dimension shall be 24 inches. The minimum net clear opening width

dimension shall be 20 inches. Where windows are provided as a means of

egress or rescue they shall have a finished sill height not more than 44

inches above the floor. (Sec. 1404.)

pete_t: Is it possible you can fax a copy of that page to me (602-569-9642) or email a scanned copy (ron@specsandcodes.com)?

Thanks!

RLGA said:
pete_t: Is it possible you can fax a copy of that page to me (602-569-9642) or email a scanned copy (ron@specsandcodes.com)?Thanks!
check you PM