• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handicap Parking Spaces

Here we go again, "Performance" language vs "prescriptive", leaving "choice" to the designer where prescriptive (specific) language is not provided.
ADA also requires the maintainability of required ADA elements.

Note: I believe there maybe an exemption from ADA for parking lots with less than (x?) spaces to provide accessible spaces. Likewise businesses with less than (x?) employees?

Yes, and what will you mark the spaces with that is maintainable and
durable?
Does striping have to be continuous or could you use "Bots" dots?

The code doesn't say the lines need to be permanent or that it needs to be paint. Maybe it should, then that would require paved surfaces. Otherwise they could just use chalk for the lines. I'll take a picture to prove it's up to code and I usually never see these places again after I final them.

Without question the lines need to be permanent and maintained. This is one of the red flags that people get sued for - when the striping is faded and not visible.

There are Many "slip-resistant" epoxy coatings, been using them for years, never been sued for them.

It depends on the coefficient of friction after the install. Most of the epoxy surfaces (especially when subject to weather) become extremely slippery.

I will never recommend epoxy outdoors - seen too many problems, law suits, etc. It's not just ADA by the way, there are a plethora of trip-and-fall law suits, which are entirely different from ADA law suits. In many cases it's simply not worth the risk. It costs $$$$$ to squelch a law suit.