• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handrail Extensions

If it extends into the maneuvering clearance, then you don't have the required maneuvering clearance at the door. I would say no.

a sketch may be beneficial, but if the wall mounted rail protrudes 3" from the wall which is typical then there should not be any interference with your maneuvering clearances

Being that a door can be recessed 8 inches, there are no real issues with the sketch.

So is it okay, yes

Not withstanding the original question, um, did I miss something, misinterpret the drawing?

24R X 7" = 168" = 14';

1009.10 Vertical rise. A flight of stairs shall not have a vertical

rise greater than 12 feet (3658 mm) between floor levels

or landings.

fatboy said:
Not withstanding the original question, um, did I miss something, misinterpret the drawing?24R X 7" = 168" = 14';

1009.10 Vertical rise. A flight of stairs shall not have a vertical

rise greater than 12 feet (3658 mm) between floor levels

or landings.
what if the unlabeled risers are 6 inches?

and oh ya there is a landing?

How often is a stair designed for 6" risers

Pardon me for the assumption that it was designed in accordance with common construction tolerances.

Really? 24 rises, an inch each? I doubt that is efficient building planning, adding a couple extra treads to each stair run, but I am not one with a license.......

Also if it is a continuous stair the center railings do not need extensions as shown, If that is what I am seeing in the sketch.

= + =

"Also if it is a continuous stair the center railings do not need extensions as shown, If thatis what I am seeing in the sketch."
Please cite a code section!.....Thanks!= + =

The SFPE handbook has a whole section about this and shows a diagram how handrails don't impede egress in stairwells, so they shouldn't impede in other waist high areas. They did a study or something about the shape of the human body.

north star said:
= + =Please cite a code section!.....Thanks!

= + =
CBC 1133B.4.2.2 references Figure 11B-37. Figure 11B-37 text indicates: "inner handrail at landings of stairs that double back or immediately turn shall be continuous and shall not extend into landing or accessible route of travel" image indicates no handrail extensions on inner continuous rails.

ADA 505.10 Handrail Extensions. Handrail gripping surfaces shall extend beyond and in the same direction of stair flights and ramp runs in accordance with 505.10.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. Extensions shall not be required for continuous handrails at the inside turn of switchback or dogleg stairs and ramps.