• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

hard wired smokes

Exception #2 to Section 314.3.1 is new to our jurisdiction as we skipped from the 2006 to the 2012 IRC this year. "Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing and mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements of this section". Note that electrical work was left out. So now, even an electrical meter change-out or upgrade requires smoke alarms throughout the existing dwelling. Prior to our adoption of the 2012 edition, we never really thought to enforce this requirement on stand alone plumbing, mechanical or electrical permits.

I'm new to this wireless alarm system, tell me what happens if you have a wireless alarm system and the dude sells the home and takes his alarm system with him.

Is that possible? "How did we protect this house!" )(

Pcinspector1 said:
I'm new to this wireless alarm system, tell me what happens if you have a wireless alarm system and the dude sells the home and takes his alarm system with him. Is that possible? "How did we protect this house!" )(
I know there are a few areas that require a home inspection prior to sale but I think a lot do not,

So it is not known if any smoke alarms are in place

Pcinspector1 said:
I'm new to this wireless alarm system, tell me what happens if you have a wireless alarm system and the dude sells the home and takes his alarm system with him. Is that possible? "How did we protect this house!" )(
Mark answered in post #4 that hey must still be hard wired and battery backed up. Wireless interconnection does not equate to battery powered. So the HO would have to remove the wirenuts to take the wirelessly interconnected smoke alarms with them.

Not that it matters, a HO can take whatever he wants.. maybe he likes the handrails or the hot water heater. Property maintenance code will dictate the new owner must reinstall them. New owner can litigate with the old owner if he do wishes.

A crystal ball was not one of the things I got issued :)

Tim

TimNY said:
Mark answered in post #4 that hey must still be hard wired and battery backed up. Wireless interconnection does not equate to battery powered. So the HO would have to remove the wirenuts to take the wirelessly interconnected smoke alarms with them.Not that it matters, a HO can take whatever he wants.. maybe he likes the handrails or the hot water heater. Property maintenance code will dictate the new owner must reinstall them. New owner can litigate with the old owner if he do wishes.

A crystal ball was not one of the things I got issued :)

Tim
Some existing can use battery and not interconnected

TimNY,

I guess when it comes right down to it, your right, when they move they take the bulbs, the alarms and the velvet Elvis, don't they!

No crystal ball, just an outlet tester!

cda said:
They do make battery operated wireless interconnect
Absolutely.. and a great choice where hard-wiring is not required by code. I was just clarifying that wireless does not mean it is also battery operated. ie the method of interconnection is not related to the manner in which it is powered.

Tim

I'm just curious... did ANY of you folks adopt Appendix J in the ResCode? You know, the one that covers work on existing ResCode buildings?

Personally, I'd start there and let the code direct me to the new construction requirements.

Just sayin'.

Wireless connection does not require an electrician to run 3 wire all around the house to achieve interconnect between mutiple alarms

Each individual alarm can have its own power source.

Chapter 9 in both IFC and IBC originate in the IFC in which it applies to both new and existing buildings. Conversely Chapter 10 in both books originates in the IBC, but again in the IFC applies to both new and existing, hence the extra sections in IFC Chapter 10 relative to existing buildings.

For ResCode buildings, NYS has similar language to what is noted above (currently based on the 2006 I-Codes), and makes allowances in existing ReCode buildings where walls, floors, and/or ceilings are not opened to allow for ease of installation. Our 'cutoff' date is 1984 though, that's when we went to a mandatory Statewide Code.

Chapter 9 in both IFC and IBC originate in the IFC in which it applies to both new and existing buildings.
Not quite, certain sections are for new construction only such as 903 and certain sections may apply to both as spelled out in that section

2012 IFC

907.1 General.

This section covers the application, installation, performance and maintenance of fire alarm systems and their components in new and existing buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.2 are applicable to new buildings and structures. The requirements of Section 907.3 are applicable to existing buildings and structures.

907.3 Where required in existing buildings and structures.

An approved fire alarm system shall be installed in existing buildings and structures where required in Chapter 46.

4603.7.1 Where required.

Existing Group R occupancies and dwellings not classified as Group R occupancies not already provided with single-station smoke alarms shall be provided with single-station smoke alarms. Installation shall be in accordance with Section 907.2.10, except as provided in Sections 4603.7.2 and 4603.7.3.

4603.7.2 Interconnection.

Where more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling or sleeping unit, the smoke alarms shall be interconnected in such a manner that the activation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. The alarm shall be clearly audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed.

Exceptions:

1. Interconnection is not required in buildings that are not undergoing alterations , repairs or construction of any kind.

2. Smoke alarms in existing areas are not required to be interconnected where alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure, unless there is an attic, crawl space or basement available which could provide access for interconnection without the removal of interior finishes.