• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

retire09

Silver Member
I am in Alaska and have been told that copper piping should be discouraged and possibly be disallowed in all water supply systems.

They say that copper leaches out of the lines and ends up in the waste water treatment facility.

I don't know what problem is caused at that point but I suspect it may have something to do with low levels of copper ending up in salmon streams.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Copper leaching is a known issue for many years, mostly where the water systems have to be chlorinated to kill bacteria and really high leaching where certain flourine compounds are used. Most water utilities have discontinued flouride treatment many years ago. Flouride was popular for a while as it was considered good for dental health, apparently not a good idea anymore.

jdfruit said:
Flouride was popular for a while as it was considered good for dental health, apparently not a good idea anymore.
Jeebus. General Ripper was right!

Time for attack plan "R"

Brent

Copper is a natural antimicrobial I believe or antibacterial, to they affect that they impregnate some hospital scrubs with it....But it might not discriminate between good and bad. But it might be better than plastic cancer pipe. Sounds like a study sponsored by the plastic pipe industry.

Concerns about lead leaching from the solder joints used to join the copper piping. Takes many years to go below current acceptable standards for lead ppm in drinking water. A lot of states have low lead solder required, but not all. Lead is not a big problem for full grown adults but a problem for children causing a number of health issues.

+ & +

Galvanized piping is still an acceptable type of piping that can be used,

...instead of copper or plastic.

& + &

Currently using copper to treat algae bloom in reservoirs in our area. I say increase the usage!