• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hearing Aid Issue - new one for me

JPohling

Sawhorse
I have a building owner that has a tenant that wears hearing aids. Evidently the frequency that the smoke detectors operates on is causing problems with the hearing aids. Here is the communication that I received from the building owner.

We have received a request for reasonable accommodation under the ADA from an employee with regard to the smoke alarms. The employee has stated that the frequency of the smoke alarms causes interference with their hearing aids. The employee’s audiologist has informed us that no changes can be made to the hearing aids to accommodate the frequency interference.

Please let us know quickly what accommodations can be made by the building.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

What is my owners responsibility in this instance? Short of replacing the detectors with one that operates at a different frequency I am at a loss for a solution.

First, verify it is the fire alarm system and not a burglar alarm system or other interference.

Can the employee be moved to a different location? Does the employee needs the hearing aids for work purposes? Are other options workable (talk to text)?

Next step, can installing/service company and/or manufacturer offer suggestions ?

Next step, can walls be erected or dampening materials be added if it is a viable solution?

Document that you are addressing the problem, how you are addressing the problem and the costs that are being born as you go.

Does not make since!!!!!

Seems like the only time a frequency happens is when the fire alarm activates???

And at that time everyone should be leaving the building

Need to ask the doctor to give something in writing what the doctor means

That's a new one on me, I'm now on my fourth set of hearing aids starting in 1989 with the old analog ones, and now Bluetooth digital aids (my phone connects with my aids), I've never had that kind of interference. I'd say the wearer should go to his audiologist, take one of the smokes with him, and have the audiologist tune out the interfering frequency. And no, I am not disabled because I wear hearing aids.

I think it is more when the fire alarm sounds the audio notification device is driving the guy wacky, I do not htink it is when the person is just setting there.

That is the beauty of the ADA. It doesn't have to make sense. The business owner has to show that he addressed the problem to the best of his ability bearing the costs (~within reason~). Some hardwire systems will ping the hardwire network every few seconds only discernible in the quietest of grave yard surroundings. Like I said, the problem may not be the fire alarm system or even in the building. ig the cause cannot be detmined or an affective solution found it may be time to consult an attorney if you documented everything extremely well. I too am a hearing aid wearer!

That depends on the exact job that the person is doing. Otherwise said, not enough information to make a call and I don't play an AHJ or Judge on TV either:smile:

Are they wireless detectors/alarms?

There has been an issue with wireless phones and hearing aids

mark handler said:
Are they wireless detectors/alarms?There has been an issue with wireless phones and hearing aids
You cannot put any telephone receiver up to an ear with a hearing aid in it, it will squeal like Hell, there is a magnet called a "Telecoil" that can be mounted in both the aid and the receiver that supposedly makes them work, I've never used one (Page 18 of this brochure explains them). Most audiologist tell their customers to turn their telephones to speaker phone to use them, but that's annoying to everyone around you and at this point I can't hear the speaker phone at all but I try every morning, when the first call comes in I turn it to speaker and tell the caller to please wait until I put my hearing aids in, that's why the Bluetooth connections have been a godsend for people with hearing aids. I have a standing appointment with my audiologist every three months, during these appointments I tell him to tune in and out certain frequencies.

1. How did they determine it was the smoke detectors.

2. They are not adjustable

Another point, audible smoke detectors do no good at all for people who can't hear, if a deaf person dies in a fire because he didn't hear the smoke detector could his estate sue the AHJ under ADA? We don't' sleep with our hearing aids in place you know.