• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Heel Cut on Interior Bedroom Ceiling.....Oooops

Re: Heel Cut on Interior Bedroom Ceiling.....Oooops

If you let the framer get away with this without some kind of repair, they'll keep over cutting the rafters, joists.. studs..

make them fix it once, and they'll be more careful.

Insulation and drywall aren't that light.. the overcuts will fail with time (maybe a different homeowner)... but now that it's in the public domain.. have them fix.

Re: Heel Cut on Interior Bedroom Ceiling.....Oooops

Mule -

As I looked at the pictures it looked like the rafters behind the one in the picture also had all the overcuts. While it was a more than adequate fix, what you had them do, sometimes having them do it right helps prevent the problem in future projects. Sometimes when we give them/allow them the fix, the contractor just figures that we (the inspector) will come up with a fix for sloppy work in the future. I'm not so sure I'd have allowed the fix; however I know that we all consider circumstances.