• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hello and I am glad I found this forum.

rickadoe

I work in a small Central Valley town in California, and I am a maintenance Guy for a college out here.
I have been looking at the DGS website and trying to find an answer to this question. I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.
we have a concrete pad 30'x30' in our compound where we store things like lawnmowers and tractors. A 20'x20'x14' carport was installed but with no walls, just a roof.
If we put walls on it does it have to be DSA and/or AC reviewed? NO students will be in there only workers working on equipment and stuff.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
-R

Was the "carport" a permitted/reviewed/approved installation? How is it anchored and what kind of bracing does it have? From what I've heard the DSA wants everything reviewed and stamped so I'm guessing either way you're probably going to want their approval for adding walls, it will just be far easier for you if the existing was previously approved. No students may get you out of AC requirements, but that's something they can address (or ignore) when you submit for your changes.

Welcome, rickadoe! For future reference, there is a subforum for specific accessibility questions, found here.

The Division of the State Architect is typically the Authority Having Jurisdiction over community college projects. The issue Interpretations of Regulations and Information Bulletins to help the public understand application of the the regulations.
I'd check out a couple of these:

BU 09-07: Collaborative Process for Community College Projects (PDF)
This tells you haw to coordinate with DSA to get the answer you're looking for.

IR 11B-10 Scoping and Path of Travel Upgrade Requirements for Facility Alteration, Addition and Structural Repair Projects: 2016 CBC (PDF)
Page 1, footnote 2 references 11B-203 for exceptions. That can be found here. My initial guess based on 11B-203 is that the enclosed space could technically store a piece of equipment that a person who is in a wheelchair would want to access, they will probably require the alteration to be accessible. An example: you have a person in the maintenance off who cannot walk without a cane, but is able to use a riding mower; or maybe they have a desk job, but are tasked with taking equipment inventory once a year. (If this sounds farfetched, you can search the forums here for discussions about making fire department crew quarters ADA accessible.

Note that the IR 11B-10 also discusses the "20% rule", an upper limit of how much of your budget you must spend on ADA improvements.

Welcome, rickadoe! For future reference, there is a subforum for specific accessibility questions, found here.

The Division of the State Architect is typically the Authority Having Jurisdiction over community college projects. The issue Interpretations of Regulations and Information Bulletins to help the public understand application of the the regulations.
I'd check out a couple of these:

BU 09-07: Collaborative Process for Community College Projects (PDF)
This tells you haw to coordinate with DSA to get the answer you're looking for.

IR 11B-10 Scoping and Path of Travel Upgrade Requirements for Facility Alteration, Addition and Structural Repair Projects: 2016 CBC (PDF)
Page 1, footnote 2 references 11B-203 for exceptions. That can be found here. My initial guess based on 11B-203 is that the enclosed space could technically store a piece of equipment that a person who is in a wheelchair would want to access, they will probably require the alteration to be accessible. An example: you have a person in the maintenance off who cannot walk without a cane, but is able to use a riding mower; or maybe they have a desk job, but are tasked with taking equipment inventory once a year. (If this sounds farfetched, you can search the forums here for discussions about making fire department crew quarters ADA accessible.

Note that the IR 11B-10 also discusses the "20% rule", an upper limit of how much of your budget you must spend on ADA improvements.
Correct me if I am wrong, but accessibility should only apply to either the public or within a workplace where there are employees that require these needs to be met. The area is off-limits to the public so this is more of a workplace requirement and such, if the employer deems it necessary, then it should be discussed with the AHJ to determine the scope. There is much leeway for the employer when there is an employee within the workplace that has accessible needs. It is a notable case that can be made by the occupant owner to the AHJ.

I work in a small Central Valley town in California, and I am a maintenance Guy for a college out here.
I have been looking at the DGS website and trying to find an answer to this question. I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.
we have a concrete pad 30'x30' in our compound where we store things like lawnmowers and tractors. A 20'x20'x14' carport was installed but with no walls, just a roof.
If we put walls on it does it have to be DSA and/or AC reviewed? NO students will be in there only workers working on equipment and stuff.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
-R
The AHJ would certainly like to inquire about the use of the space. It is with good intent that notifies the AHJ of the intended purpose/scope of the project to ensure that any additional requirements are not needed. Typically an AHJ would want to determine if this would apply any additional forces to the load barring structure that it may or may not be able to handle, if the space is intended to be conditioned, and lastly to also determine if the current existing conditions of the space isn't out of compliance for whatever reason. Those are just some of the considerations from an AHJ's perspective.

Man, you guys rock with the information !!:)
I will do some more research and see what I can do to pass along some info to the uppers.

thank you very much
-R

Correct me if I am wrong, but accessibility should only apply to either the public or within a workplace where there are employees that require these needs to be met. The area is off-limits to the public so this is more of a workplace requirement and such, if the employer deems it necessary, then it should be discussed with the AHJ to determine the scope. There is much leeway for the employer when there is an employee within the workplace that has accessible needs. It is a notable case that can be made by the occupant owner to the AHJ.
In the case of California community colleges, the DSA is both the AHJ and to a certain extent also the "client". California DSA is extremely conservative when it comes to accessibility (in this case, conservative = don't want to get sued = make it as accessible as possible).

ADA 203.9 covers something called "employee work areas".
CBC 11B-203.9 exceeds ADA in that it adds the idea of "employee workstations", and it says that the workstations need to be on an accessible route.
1643412030815.png
So in the case of the OP's question: the equipment (tractors, etc.) don't need to be accessible themselves; however, DSA might consider the lawnmower / tractor storage to be a type of "workstation" and thus require an accessible path of travel to that area, or at least to "common use circulation paths".