• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

HELP!!!! Please read and Answer

Re: HELP!!!! Please read and Answer

STB,

You can also use Section 106 of the IRC that states as BCO you can require as much documentation as needed to determine compliance with the code.

Hey Mule,

I feel your pain. No calcs required here, even though I know they are required. It's just not something that has ever been required in this geographic area. I have my hands full trying to enforce other provisions of the code that have been overlooked for years. You gotta pick your battles.

I'll also admit I'm in the same boat as far as water hammer arrestors. I've used them on my own projects just because that's what a quality job demands. Did not realize the code also demands them. Can't wait to pull that one out at the next rough inspection. Better make sure my means of egress is compliant, because I'll probably need it.

Tim

aka the "nitpicker" as I was recently called :)

We're still under 2006 Irc and switching this summer, but wouldn't you know it, that section (programmable stats) is getting amended out (a concession to our mechanical board for other items to be added or changed).

One of the other inspectors here had to deal with a similar situation. A contractor put in an a/c in a small office building that would barely take care of the light load, let alone anything else, because "that was the size the building owner wanted"! :roll: He aske for calcs, and the design temp was 90.

That same inspector went to a seminar where the instructor mentioned to old method of "standing at the curb with a cardboard template, if the house fit in this hole, it got this size furnace." Afterward, someone was asking where he could get one of those templates!

Tim, we have the same problem here, especially before it slowed down, so we decided to go with the "if it seems out of whack, request load calcs." No mech inspections in city limits prior to '94 and still no mech inspections elswhere in the state except Rapid City, 350 miles away.

By the way, if you never get accused of nitpicking or picking on someone, you're probably not doing your job.

The International Energy Conservation Code requires a minimum design temperature of 72 degrees for heating and 75 degrees for cooling.
Correction

The International Energy Conservation Code requires a maximum design temperature of 72 degrees for heating and a minimum 75 degrees for cooling.

The IRC doesn't require cooling... only heating.. even in Miami..

In areas where heating clearly rules (like the northern climates), you'll always design for heat..

In southern areas, you'll generally design for cooling (didn't I see hats and mittens during the Fat Tuesday parades on TV)..

Since supplemental heat is always required (well, talk to the people in New Orleans).. bet they are glad they had it.. and that's the Code requirement.. you need to at least consider it in the South.

I live in a "southern" state... watching our 60+ inches of snow melt away...

Always get calculations if a mechanical system is installed.

I wish my place had been designed for efficient heating... but it's not. Not a good provision for return air.

peach,

What WAS your snow load? :)