• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help, please.....

oldred

Bronze Member
We live in an apartment building, more then a two family unit. We are up grade and the construction was done such that to exit the building you must go down a flight of stairs, with seven risers. The stairs are concrete and while outside the building the are attached to the building. The stairs conclude at the sidewalk, which when crossed brings you to the street. 1975 BOCA codes apply. The landlord states that he does not have to put a handrail on the stairway or to have the stairs lighted at night....it's very dark. He stated that the stairway is part of the sidewalk and hence he does not have to follow building code in reference to handrails or lights. Is he correct? We are old, my husband and the stairs are starting to concern us. Thank you so very much to anyone who can help me with this question.

You may want to contact your local fire marshal...they may be the Authority Having Jurisdiction on existing buildings and maintainence of egress.....

when was the building built- roughly

any remodel of the stairs in last five - ten years

Have you talked to any city agenices about this?

When are stairways part of the sidewalk?

Help, please.....

We live in an apartment building, more then a two family unit. We are up grade and the construction was done such that to exit the building you must go down a flight of stairs, with seven risers. The stairs are concrete and while outside the building the are attached to the building. The stairs conclude at the sidewalk, which when crossed brings you to the street. 1975 BOCA codes apply. The landlord states that he does not have to put a handrail on the stairway or to have the stairs lighted at night....it's very dark. He stated that the stairway is part of the sidewalk and hence he does not have to follow building code in reference to handrails or lights. Is he correct? We are old, my husband and the stairs are starting to concern us. Thank you so very much to anyone who can help me with this question.

= = =

oldred,

1st, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

2nd, ...Suggest that you contact someone within your jurisdiction

who is charge of hazardous conditions [ i.e. - your local Fire Dept.,

...Building Official, ...city or county administrator, ...city or county

elected representatives ], or regarding Property Maintenance issues.

FWIW, ...keep on asking until you get a satisfactory answer /

resolution.

3rd, ...let us know how things turn out, or if we can assist you in

another way.

= = =

I did, he was on the phone with the building inspector......small city and landlord owns lots and lots of real estate.

I think it's just time to bring in an expert. An impartial judge so to speak. I don't want to pursue this if we have no case. Better to just move, but only when the stairs do become too much.

oldred said:
I think it's just time to bring in an expert. An impartial judge so to speak. I don't want to pursue this if we have no case. Better to just move, but only when the stairs do become too much.
when was the building built- roughly

any remodel of the stairs in last five - ten years

Have you talked to any city agenices about this?

You might talk to a real estate attorney to see where the stairs stop and the property line for the building is

Stay on their case but do it politely if at all possible. If you need an expert believe me that the Commonwealth of Virginia has them! If you would like to send me a private message on your town location I may be able to put you in touch with someone that can help. I know the old BOCA Code. They are wrong.

The landlord states that he does not have to put a handrail on the stairway
I bet under ADA or Fair Housing he does

IFC 4604 is retroactive and applies to existing buildings

4604.5 Illumination emergency power.

The power supply for means of egress illumination shall normally be provided by the premises' electrical supply. In the event of power supply failure, illumination shall be automatically provided from an emergency system for the following occupancies where such occupancies require two or more means of egress :

2012 International Building Code:

3401.5 Dangerous conditions.The building official shall have the authority to require the elimination of conditions deemed dangerous.

I can see applying this.

I would also try the ADA route. Start with asking the local building department the question about ADA access requirements. If the response is not satisfactory follow up with a question to the state agency responsible for ADA enforcement. You can always try the Department of Justice if nothing else works.

Yes Sir, thank you so much. I will try and find out how to get a private email to you.

Contact your local building inspections office property maintnancce or existing structures division.

Handrails are required by section 307 of the property maintenance code when there is more than 4 risers.

402.2 requires lighting for common stairs.

email me your location and I can get you the contact info for your locality cas13@co.henrico.va.us

Frank said:
Contact your local building inspections office property maintnancce or existing structures division.Handrails are required by section 307 of the property maintenance code when there is more than 4 risers.

402.2 requires lighting for common stairs.

email me your location and I can get you the contact info for your locality cas13@co.henrico.va.us
Already done. I talked to their local Building Official this morning. Not sure if oldred has called yet or had a chance to get on the computer to check messages.