• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help with 2015 International Existing Building Code

pmarx

Bronze Member
Never used this before and I'm unsure what to do about a change of use. Unfortunately, the project is only in the schematic stage so I don't have some information such as height, fire suppression, etc.

I have been able to assign existing uses for each floor of a five story building. I know what the proposed changes of use are. What I'm not sure of is how to apply the relative hazard classifications in Chapter 10. For example, looking at the first floor under 1012.4 (Means of Egress) presently there is an M and B use (relative hazards of 2 & 3). The proposed change of use will be to A-2, A-3, M and R-1. These all still have hazards of 2 & 3. Am I able to treat these as a change to an equal hazard?

What I'm unsure of is the mixed use aspect. On the upper floors it will be a straight change from R-2 (apartments) to R-1 (hotel). Both are a 2 so I'm pretty sure it's an equal change.

Since you are changing the use, existing building code will defer to building code req.

First off, the IEBC is a guide that provides three different aspects for determining code compliance-

1.) Prescriptive
2.) Work Area/ Addition/ Change of Occupancy, etc.
3.) Performance based design

Don't become overwhelmed by trying to take it all in at once. Pick one area of the building that is remaining the same occupancy - Follow the logic you dcided to use for the project -
1.) Prescriptive - follow the requirements of Chapter 4
2.) Work Area - This will more than likely be a level 1, level 2,or level 3 work area,
3.) Performance Based - Follow the requirements of Chapter 14

Pick another area of the building that is changing occupancy -
Follow the same logic -
4.) Prescriptive
5.) Work Area
6.) Performance Based

As a side note, Chapter 10 of the IEBC allows for a full change of occupancy or allows you to limit the change of occupancy to a partial change of occupancy providing you meet the requirements for separation from other areas. In a change of occupancy, Each chapter of work areas builds upon another - basically Chapter 7 is the base, chapter 8 will add to the requirements of Chapter 7, and Chapter 9 places the icing on the cake.

Go through your building step by step for each area and start to build a plan of action from there.

IF prescriptive means are to restrictive, the work area method is to restricitvie, Use the performance based code to maneuver the end design you need - This may allow additional life safety features - Full smoke detection, manual fire alarm, etc. to trade off other areas that may be deficient but does not make the building any less safe in the eyes of the code.

However; properly documented construction plans are required to keep improper interpretations and/or inspections to occur.