• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help with A-2/A-3 designation

whrftw

New member here and was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an issue I am having. I recently built a wedding venue, and am having trouble getting everything approved with the Fire Inspection. My venue is what you'd call "out in the country" so I do not have a fire hydrant or 6" water line within 1,500 ft of the location. My building is a metal building on one floor, 2,800 sq ft total and 6 methods of egress. We are doing food trucks outside so no food served or cooked inside, but were planning on a bar on the inside. The actual open space (not counting bathrooms etc is about 2,300 sq ft.) My architect drew up some plans that brought my occupancy down to <99 which would mean I would not need sprinklers (which is very difficult due to a lack of water as mentioned above.) The inspector denied his plans saying you can't reduce occupancy levels, only increase them.... seems safe but ok.

So then I bought a large "shed" that was going to be an outside bar that was 240 sq ft which meant I would not need the main building classified as an A2, now it could be an A3 for "gathering." The inspector told me if I went this route that I would have to sign paperwork saying no-one could walk into the main building with a drink in their hands. From my research, it seemed that the intended purpose of the A3 building could not be to consume food or drink, but I believe walking inside this building with a drink in your hand would be an ancillary function as opposed to primary purpose. I am completely new to all of this and cannot find a definitive answer.

My main goal is to have the building classified as an A-2 solely to open the small inside bar, but the inspector wants to use my occupancy calculation as 7 and not 15. Even at 15 as it stands would put me over 100 which requires sprinklers. He is not open to an inside setup that would reduce occupancy to 99 or less. Which is what I'd like as this is just a small venue and I wouldn't have more than 100 people there regardless of how high my occupancy level was.

I was told in order to get tanks, pumps and hydrants would cost me upwards of $100,000 so I could get sprinklers and get the A-2 classification. I do not have that kind of money.

From reading some posts in here, you guys/girls clearly have a great understanding of this. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to take the time to explain to me what they would recommend, and what I could perhaps do to get the classification, and/or not be required to sign a document I do not believe is required by code. Thank you for your time.

What are the adopted code and editions in your location? Also, can you post a drawing of the buildings in question with door swings and locations.

Is there a building department involved with permits and inspections? If not, how is it that a fire department is weighing in now? If yes, what happened to getting out in front of these issues?

Either A2 or A3 with 2300 square feet and an occupant load factor of seven, sprinklers are required. A letter stating that no drinks will enter the building is not realistic and then what about food?

There’s just no way that a 2300 sq.ft. wedding venue could be anything other than an A2.

Last edited:
Been following this, partially because the life Safety Code did not accept a proposal to add "wedding barns" to the sprinkler list, but some on the committee felt it was already required.

I suggest the only possible option to not sprinkle is "Alternative materials, design and methods of construction and equipment" and a fire protection engineer. Whether, for less money overall, an FPE could prove to the ahj that some other design is equivalent - maybe enhanced egress, limited combustibles, exhaust, ... - I don't know. Might be worth an exploratory phone call with an FPE.

One of these near me and I don't think there are sprinklers.

The fire district lost. The courts ruled under Montana law that only the Building Code Division could require sprinklers. Basically they required more exits in lieu of sprinklers

I'd guess that fewer than half of the wedding barns are sprinklered, but a lot probably slipped in as existing buildings. I wonder how many wedding barns have had a fire, and if they were occupied.

I recently built a wedding venue, and am having trouble getting everything approved with the Fire Inspection.
Seems to be some missing information. Is there an adopted building code? An AHJ to enforce it? A rule that says you should get approval before building it?