• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hey "where do yo want the FDC at?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Does the nfpa13 determine where the Fire Department Connection shoud be on a building? I can't fine anything I know it has to be a minimum 36" above grade but where should the connection be? Is up to the BO of FD?

Pc1

We leave it up to the FD since they are the ones that will be using it.

I kinda was looking for the best place, access from the parking lot side or access from a driveway, or should it always be on the front of the

building?

I'll call the District!

Inline with an accessible parking space access aisle is a good place...shouldn't be blocked normally.

we require it within 100 feet of a fire hydrant, so that sometimes drives if it will be on the building or off.

then we look for placement near the road or firelane

Within 100' of supply and on the building's front accessible by paved surface able to withstand the weight of the FD's largest vehicle or in the yard accessible from paved surface outside the building's collapse zone based on wall height plus 25' as directed by the adopted fire code. It's the FD's call.

Well Heck,

I was going to say whatever it was that FM said. :razz:

Uncle Bob

I would also reference the drainage plans. Yeah, they're supposed to be traffic slabs, but who knows. It really should be left to the FD, as placement of the aerial will dictate where other trucks can fit.

A 10 minute sit-down with all the pertinent parties can make things sooo much easier :)

The 3 fire districts in our jurisdiction have all gone to strobes instead of bells.

Got the strobe above the FDC now, which bring up another question, the strobe is on the same wall but relocating the FDC 25' down the same wall.

Will the strobe need to be relocated as well? it's on the same wall.

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Got the strobe above the FDC now, which bring up another question, the strobe is on the same wall but relocating the FDC 25' down the same wall. Will the strobe need to be relocated as well? it's on the same wall.

pc1
I don't recall any such requirement. Good idea, absolutely. FDC is supposed to be plainly visible, or have them put a "FDC" sign with an arrow under the strobe, if it's not clear.

Like TJ, we now require the audible warning device for a fire sprinkler system to be a listed weatherproof horn/strobe. In "most" applications the H/S will be near or directly above the FDC based on riser design and piping schemes as I've seen over the past 25 years.

Where are we getting moving a H/S 25' feet down the wall from?

FM,

Existing sprinkler system is in place, needing to move FDC to allow for a future propane generator placement where existing FDC is located.

Does the H/S need to be directly over the FDC?

pc1

PC1,

No, there is no code requirement for it and the relocation of the FDC (as long as accessible) should be all that is needed. The FD has to take a reasonable stance with additional added expence to the owner. As long as it's accessable the FD should pre-plan and know the wereabouts of the connection without adding costs to re-run identification means. In this event, I would only consider a sign if the (H/S) device was on the accessible side of the structure.....but that's just my rationale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pcinspector1 said:
Does the nfpa13 determine where the Fire Department Connection shoud be on a building? I can't fine anything I know it has to be a minimum 36" above grade but where should the connection be? Is up to the BO of FD?Pc1
Anyone of the below will work...

1. Behind the largest bush and or tree

2. Where cars park all the time

3. Where the FD has to lay at least 500' of hose by hand to get to it.

4. Where cars and or trucks will hit them.

5. Before the suction side of a fire pump

6. Do we really need one?

Once again I think common sense should be the rule of the day. Place it in a locations that will serve the best situation in time of need.

Talk with the fire department for plan of attack and let them direct you for what,when and how they plan to fight a fire on that particular building.

Insurance Engineer,

Add #7 to your list "behind a 6' solid fence with gate and key access, " that's if the FDC is left where it's at!

FM and RJJ thanks for the support, great comments!

pc1