• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High Piled Storage & Data Mining

JasonACaveny

I am working on the design of a data mining project that will use mines placed on standard warehouse racking. If the miners are being used and are regularly maintained, would they count as high piled storage if the racks are over 12 feet. When I read the code it seems to me it is refering to material or product storage. If the items in question are equiptment being used does it still apply? This project is not normal in any since of the word so if there is an argument to be made I would love to hear it.

so

How many square feet of this racking???

Any type of fire protection??

No fire protection other than alarms and sensors. The racking is configured in two 160' long lines at 22' apart with 15' aisle to the wall. The building is purpose built around the computers and is a pre-engineered metal building. All internal partitions are metal stud with gyp bd. and there are very few of them. The occupancy load is under 30 people and we are going for a special industrial use classification.

I am working on the design of a data mining project that will use mines placed on standard warehouse racking. If the miners are being used and are regularly maintained, would they count as high piled storage if the racks are over 12 feet. When I read the code it seems to me it is refering to material or product storage. If the items in question are equiptment being used does it still apply? This project is not normal in any since of the word so if there is an argument to be made I would love to hear it.

Over 15 feet

So what is the total sq ft of rack area????

Electronic data processing IS NOT High Piled Storage IT IS 304.1 Business Group B

REFER TO:
NFPA 75 and Fire Protection and
Suppression in Data Centers
mark,

Bits of information = your pointing out NFPA 75 is one of the reason I am a sawhourse and read all the post, I will file this tidbit away in the gray matter for a future time.

mark,

Bits of information = your pointing out NFPA 75 is one of the reason I am a sawhourse and read all the post, I will file this tidbit away in the gray matter for a future time.
NFPA 75 provides an effective blueprint for the design and construction of data centers to minimize the risk of fire and its associated effects