• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

High rise barrier removal required?

ADAguy

Pre 72' private highrise (32 floors) constructed with open risers and handrail on one side only on emergency egress stairs.

Barrier removal:

1. Enclose risers?

2. Add 2nd handrails?

Hardship?

State of California will be occupying a few floors.

What is the Scope of work?

What does the State of California lease say?

What type of "State of California" buisness?

What is the definition of a barrier?

Handrail maybe

Enclose risers I cant see how an open riser would be a barrier to any one. Safety and it should be done Yes but a barrier?

mtlogcabin said:
Enclose risers I cant see how an open riser would be a barrier to any one. Safety and it should be done Yes but a barrier?
Cane and mobility device users

they slide into the openings

Also studies show that closed risers help with trip and falls

6%20A%20hazard%20at%20small%20change%20in%20level%20final%20vera.jpg

ANSI A117.1 504.3 Open risers shall not be permitted.

Not sure if it applies in this instance, but there it is.

I could probably add some info here...................This is a lease renewal for the State of California. Think lots of attorneys on 8 floors! Originally I performed a survey on the state checklist for leased facilities back in 07. At that time the checklist specifically stated that "Stairs used for emergency egress do not need to be surveyed, however, doorways (including signage) leading to an emergency staircase must be fully accessible." Fast forward to lease renewal time and the 2013 edition of the checklist and the wording has significantly changed. It now states "Stairs used solely for emergency egress must be surveyed and meet current California Building Code". 18 story highrise constructed in 72'. Stairs have open risers and only a guardrail/handrail on the interior switchback portion of the stairs. There are no handrails around the perimeter of the stairs.

Given what we have witnessed since 72 I believe that handrails in emergency stairs are extremely valuable in an emergency situation and was quite surprised to see the stairs without them. I am just trying to make sure that I have not missed something when I tell this building owner they need to retrofit two stair towers from the 16th floor down by closing risers and adding handrails. Does anyone believe that showing that the building complied with the code when it was built that would somehow satisfy "meeting current California Building Code" ............. well at least Chapter 34 for existing structures? Current code would require handrails on both sides with the interior rail being continuous and closed risers.

Existing code (comliant when built but not compliant by todays code)- vs current code (no retroactive requirements for stairs) vs ADA mandated barrier removal (required since 91') (barrier to sight impaired users)

RESD's choice to accept, dealpoint, or pay for. Building owner must make a risk management/benefit determination. I wonder what his premisis carrier has to say?