• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

History and meaning of the 4 inch rule for guards fences etc...

I guess I have to chime in here since I wrote the code change for the 4-3/8" baluster spacing for both IRC stairs and reducing the 8" sphere between 34 & 42 to 4-3/8"

• The IRC has a stair geometry of 7-3/4" on 10" in the model code
  • With the 10" tread and and (2) 3/4" or larger balusters you can set only (2) balusters per tread.
  • I also showed that the size of Kids that could negotiate stair flights, had larger body and head configurations than that of a child rolling on a landing towards balusters.
  • I also presented information that explained that with a 6" sphere requirement that the opening on the lower portion was open to a fall through than the 4-3/8".
  • The 99% was equally as fine with 4-3/8" as 4" when you review sizing information.
  • I also stated that though I was fine with a 4-3/8" sphere for all, that I only request it here on stair flights and would speak against any movement to increase the 4" sphere to 4-3/8" throughout the codes and have.
The 99% majority of the children can't pass their bodies or heads through 4" wide vertical spacing. The 4" is based on 2 vertical or angled bars in parallel, it's not really a sphere thing, it's an area thing. We can all agree that there is no issue with a 6" round opening in a guard with a child going through, we allow this as an exception, but a opening 34" tall set 6" apart is a problem.

The reduction of the 8" sphere along the upper area of a guard was done because of cases reviewed during the CTC study of climbable guards, there were a small amount of cases found where children's bodies had passed through the 8" opening but the heads did not and thus they were found in distress with feet not touching the floors. Thus the group decision was made during the CTC meetings to reduce the 8" sphere to 4-3/8" which was currently the largest long parallel span the group could agree on. The 4-3/8" on the upper opening was a CTC, Elliot had wanted 4" and less than that.

If you want a complete history of the changes and follow it in more depth you can visit the ICC-CTC website, under climbable guards and review all the documentation from start to finish every the compilation of the 4" sphere history through the code organizations. It's all there to read.

Tom