• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

History of Codes

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn; you have chosen to enter a brave new world. So much knowledge to acquire and so little time.
I have just received digital copies of UBC 1927 to the end, fun reading.
Very cool. I also just got a huge donation to my unofficial "North American Building Code Museum" Two generations of code officials' treasures, and in it...an original 1927. Hard to believe. (it smells super moldy, need to learn about book restoration and preservation) I am only missing 1933 now and I will have the entire volume I collection. Incredible gift. The best part is I have so many duplicates, I am preparing a HUGE collection to give to an amazing up and coming code professional I know. Big thanks to David P. Tyree for this donation. I will care for it with honor and respect.

I'm pretty excited about this new addition to my growing vintage code book collection. The five years of titles in this video reveal a pinnacle time in the evolution of a comprehensive residential building code.

Here's the first sanitation law in Virginia. Of course the links have changed since I first copied this.

FIRST SANITATION LAW IN VIRGINIA

(Originally found on Va. Dept. of Health website)

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:2001.01.0136 &query=spage%3D%2345&layout=imfront%3D0&loc=8

Peter Force, Tracts and other papers relating principally to the origin, settlement, and progress of the colonies in North America from the discovery of the country to the year 1776. Collected by Peter Force. Vol. 3

Articles, Lawes, and Orders, Diuine, Politique, and Martiall for the Colony in Virginea: first established by Sir Thomas Gates Knight, Lieutenant Generall, the 24. of May 1610. exemplified and approued by the Right Honourable Sir Thomas West Knight, Lord Lawair, Lord Gouernour and Captaine Generall the 12. of Iune 1610. Againe exemplified and enlarged by Sir Thomas Dale Knight, Marshall, and Deputie Gouernour, the 22. of Iune. 1611.

22 There shall no man or woman, Launderer or Launderesse, dare to wash any vncleane Linnen, driue bucks, or throw out the water or suds of fowle cloathes, in the open streete, within the Pallizadoes, or within forty foote of the same, nor rench, and make cleane, any kettle, pot, or pan, or such like vessell within twenty foote of the olde well, or new Pumpe: nor shall any one aforesaid, within lesse then a quarter of one mile from the Pallizadoes, dare to doe the necessities of nature, since by these vnmanly, slothfull, and loathsome immodesties, the whole Fort may bee choaked, and poisoned with ill aires, and so corrupt (as in all reason cannot but much infect the same) and this shall they take notice of, and auoide, vpon paine of whipping and further punishment, as shall be thought meete, by the censure of a martiall Court.

25 Euery man shall haue an especiall and due care, to keepe his house sweete and cleane, as also so much of the streete, as lieth before his door, and especially he shall so prouide, and set his bedstead whereon he lieth, that it may stand three foote at least from the ground, as he will answere the contrarie at a martiall Court.

I just love that Paul is playing along with my history sickness and sharing some stuff! Whooop-whoop! Don't you love the language in these old codes.

Here is a little video prompted by books I discovered in my late father's university library. Like myself...he was also a collector of vintage books in his profession, so this was a weird sort of mourning exercise for me.
The first minute is slow, but then provides a little history about energy compliance paths. PS call your parents...

I've kept you waiting for far too long. Here's another amazing code history video, but first... trivia!

What was the only (I think the only) code book to bear the label of 5 building code organizations? Answer in the video. If you know of others, let us know.