1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

History Trivia!

Discussion in 'Code Training *Sponsor: BuildingCodeCollege.com' started by Glenn, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

Here is a quote from a building code of the past. Make a guess of the decade and the topic.

“The added cost of such protection is very slight, and yet its value is so little appreciated, the ordinary dwelling either has not [BLANK] at all, or else the work is so indifferently done as to be practically worthless. Because such work does not show when a building is completed, and because its importance is usually entirely underestimated, it is common to delegate it to a boy, or some careless incompetent person.”

2. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

Thermal insulation?
    50’s?

Glenn likes this.
  3. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

"Protection" is the key word; sprinklers (90's) or waterproof membranes (70's)?

4. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

fire blocking?

Glenn likes this.
  5. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Hmm, I know the answer.... read your post on another site before I saw the question here.

I believe it will confound many when you share the item of focus and who addressed its status.

6. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

I had to GTS it

7. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

History Trivia for $200 Glenn!

Glenn likes this.
  8. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

1916 - Fire Sprinklers, to save the insurance companies a lot of money.

9. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

It's about "firestopping" in 1920 (which is now called fire blocking).

The first "model" codes were written by the National Bureau of Fire Underwriters. This was a "code of suggestions". There are 18 pages on firestopping, including many illustrations, in this 118 page book (15%). It is abundantly clear from the provisions in this book that a lack of firestopping was taking out houses. The work wasn't glamorous or noticeable in the finished product, and thus it was often ignored. It cautions of sloppy work that leaves 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch gaps. It recommends solid masonry and grout in the entire floor rim cavity up to 6 inches above the floor, but to be cautious of shrinkage. Filling the floors with masonry was the standard recommended method back then, as depicted with the same significance in my 1892 Boston and 1908 Baltimore codes.

I am trying to link the photos from my Facebook page in this post. Not sure if it's going to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

“Dwelling houses” ... is that redundant?

Glenn likes this.
  11. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

uh.. it still is a "code of suggestions" to some!

Glenn likes this.
  12. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

"A code of suggestions" is a oxymoron.

Glenn likes this.