• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hockey puck ledger spacers

NH09

Silver Member
I had an interesting question from a contractor today who read an article in Fine Homebuilding about using hockey pucks as spacers behind a deck ledger. At first I thought no way, but if the bolt has been approved for use with washers as spacers, or a double ledger, could it be allowed?

If the pucks are from the Canadians, I would dis-allow it! Wave it off, "No goal"

Go Blues!

I would prefer that the builder not have to go through the expense of an engineer, but since the pucks have not been tested as a building material it seems that a review would be required in this case - I think.

Hockey pucks or something simular may work better in some seimic zones, maybe rubber spacers should be tested?

I have seen these stand off devices before , all would require Engineer approval.It seems like a good idea but needs to be tested.