• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hockey Rink in residential backyard.... need some advice

No Soup for you

I have a homeowner in a 1/2 acre residential zone that has installed a plywood hockey rink for his kids to play.
It has 4'-0" plywood sides at half of it.

I have gotten phone calls from five neighbors complaining its an eyesore, the noise etc.... (It hasn't even been cold enough yet to ice up.)

It appears that the rink as installed meets the setback requirements for the neighborhood.

I was hoping the neighbors would just let it go and let the kids be kids but they are calling everyday asking what i am doing about it.

So..... I am thinking of requiring the homeowner to apply for a permit and possibly issue him a temporary permit (like a tent)?
Put some restrictions on length of time it can be erected and hours of use. I guess they had one last year and the kids were playing hockey late at night etc...

I am just looking for some creative way to let the kids be kids and also make peace with the complaining neighbors.

Any input appreciated :)

Tough situation. If a permit is not required, and it meets setbacks, and the town already has noise ordinances in place … tell the neighbors to get some holiday spirit. Your idea for a temp permit might help shut them up … but what’s the chance some busybody will go to city council and file a complaint cuz you did that?

It’s not a building code issue.
You didn’t say what city is your jurisdiction, but many cities have some vaguely subjective municipal code language about excessive noise or visual nuisance.
Find the language, and see if the burden on you first need to seek permission for the rink - - or if the burden is on the neighbors to prove that your rink is not in compliance.

Not a building, not a building inspection problem.

Cant have a rink on a 1/2 acre parcel? Now that is a problem.... Are temporary soccer nets not allowed in the summer? If the neighbors do not like the sound of kids playing outside they might need a ticket for lack of joy in their hearts

I have a homeowner in a 1/2 acre residential zone that has installed a plywood hockey rink for his kids to play.
It has 4'-0" plywood sides at half of it.

I have gotten phone calls from five neighbors complaining its an eyesore, the noise etc.... (It hasn't even been cold enough yet to ice up.)

It appears that the rink as installed meets the setback requirements for the neighborhood.

I was hoping the neighbors would just let it go and let the kids be kids but they are calling everyday asking what i am doing about it.

So..... I am thinking of requiring the homeowner to apply for a permit and possibly issue him a temporary permit (like a tent)?
Put some restrictions on length of time it can be erected and hours of use. I guess they had one last year and the kids were playing hockey late at night etc...

I am just looking for some creative way to let the kids be kids and also make peace with the complaining neighbors.

Any input appreciated :)
Unless the building code requires a permit what is the legal basis for requiring a permit?

If no permit is required in your jurisdiction, then requiring one to appease neighbors would be an illegal act on your part and contribute to government overreach. I have a similar problem and just showed the complainants that this was allowed with my approval and I chose to allow it. Basically it was a too bad, they can do that issue whether the neighbors liked it or not.

Call it a fence or playground equipment. No permit required
Not a building code issue

[A] 105.2 Work exempt from permit.
Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:

2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.

11. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.

If the municipality has a noise ordinance it will most likely be a law enforcement issue. Police, sheriff, constable, code enforcement.... will have experience with excessive noise problems.

You would think that one season's worth of injuries would be enough.

I was thinking about this one and it reminds me that people have a tendency to use local officials as the "everything police". If they don't think someone should do something (doesn't matter what it is), the local agencies should have a law prohibiting it. If there isn't such a law, then it is your fault as a government official that it doesn't exist (despite the fact that only elected officials can create law).

Recently, I've taken to pushing these complaints to elected officials with a statement that they need to be the ones hearing your complaint because they need to carefully evaluate any additional service the municipality engages in and the implications on the budget.

"well, I wouldn't want to pay more in taxes"

then you don't care enough about this problem to have it fixed.

Do not make the residents issue your issue, requiring an unnecessary permit is a rabbit hole you must avoid.

If they want a particular neighborhood lifestyle they should’ve bought in an HOA.

Document full name and address of complaintnant and bullet points of conversation. If your job strictly relates to building codes, advise complainants you are not aware of violations relative to the building code. Do not engaged in hypotheticals and unrelated conversation.

not a building code issue.
I am blessed with zoning enforcement which taught me that the person complaining has to cite the violation, not use general requests such as I am concerned, possibly to much noise, they are violating something..., have the complainant cite in writing the specific zoning ordinance that is being violated. Take your time, then write you decline to take enforcement action, then the complaint can appeal, by the time the appeal is heard spring will be here.

What is the difference between an ice hockey rink and a street hockey?

Is sand pounding regulated? Make sure before telling them to do that..

I would love an ice hockey rink in my yard, but I would probably be spending too much time at the urgent care. We used to flood a tennis court when the pond ice got too choppy.

not a building code issue.
I am blessed with zoning enforcement which taught me that the person complaining has to cite the violation, not use general requests such as I am concerned, possibly to much noise, they are violating something..., have the complainant cite in writing the specific zoning ordinance that is being violated. Take your time, then write you decline to take enforcement action, then the complaint can appeal, by the time the appeal is heard spring will be here.

What is the difference between an ice hockey rink and a street hockey?
I never thought of this... but I like this approach

Yes I too am blessed with Zoning, Building, Fire marshall, wetlands inspector, tree inspector and a bunch of other BS :)