• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hockey Rink in residential backyard.... need some advice

I have a homeowner in a 1/2 acre residential zone that has installed a plywood hockey rink for his kids to play.
It has 4'-0" plywood sides at half of it.

I have gotten phone calls from five neighbors complaining its an eyesore, the noise etc.... (It hasn't even been cold enough yet to ice up.)

It appears that the rink as installed meets the setback requirements for the neighborhood.

I was hoping the neighbors would just let it go and let the kids be kids but they are calling everyday asking what i am doing about it.

So..... I am thinking of requiring the homeowner to apply for a permit and possibly issue him a temporary permit (like a tent)?
Put some restrictions on length of time it can be erected and hours of use. I guess they had one last year and the kids were playing hockey late at night etc...

I am just looking for some creative way to let the kids be kids and also make peace with the complaining neighbors.

Any input appreciated :)
I have a property with a Practice Ice Hockey rink- 200 ft x 100 ft, in a building, on residential property.

Would this be anything different than a basketball game in the driveway, swimming pool, skate board half-pipe or Jar reving his bultaco? Sounds like noise issues?

Neighbors complaining should probably be advised to take thier concerns to thier council members if no code is on the books.

Invite them over to skate, maybe they have isues like wanting a pony when they were kids and thier parents said no!

oh yea, no, for sure
:)
I'm not sure if this is a Canadian only thing, but I was talking with a new immigrant and they pointed out how confusing it is when we say yes or no sometimes.

Yea, no, yea: means for sure
No, yea, no: means absolutely not
Yea, no: means no
No, yea: means yes

The last two are usually used when someone is asking to do something ridiculous.

Is this happening anywhere else or is it just Canada?

I'm not sure if this is a Canadian only thing, but I was talking with a new immigrant and they pointed out how confusing it is when we say yes or no sometimes.

The last two are usually used when someone is asking to do something ridiculous.

Same deal in MN & WI

I think in Minnesota the Inspectors name is Ollie!

Ollie was in trouble, he forgot Lena's birthday, She said "I better have a gift in my driveway that goes 0-200 pretty dam fast Ollie!
Next day sure enough there was a gift in the driveway, a box with a big bow on it.

Lena put on her robe and fetched the box and took it inside and unopened it.
She opened the box and found a bathroom scale.

Ollie's been missing since Friday!

You just tell them it is not a Building Code issue, and walk away.

If I tell them to go to Council, they just kick it back to me to deal with anyway.

After you say the final NO, start ignoring calls, and delete emails!

I would not involve myself with this as a BCO. Although the work does not require a building permit, the Canadians do need a lot of help since they have not won a Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993.

I would not involve myself with this as a BCO. Although the work does not require a building permit, the Canadians do need a lot of help since they have not won a Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993.
And when is the last time Lord Stanley's Cup has made it's way to the sunshine state?

In So. Ca that has to be expensive to keep frozen.

Once it's been frozen for a while, the ground below can turn into permafrost. A story from Pasadena, CA:

"Pasadena’s skating history goes back to 1940, when Cliff Henderson built the Pasadena Winter Garden on Arroyo Parkway, one of only three ice rinks in the Los Angeles area. It was home to the Pasadena Panthers hockey club in the 1950s and the Blade and Edge figure skating club, from which Olympic champion Peggy Fleming emerged. The Pasadena Maple Leafs hockey club, one of the oldest in SoCal, was established there in 1964.

The Winter Garden closed its doors on Dec. 31, 1966, and was converted into a postal facility, but its new owners soon noticed a problem. Apparently, the permafrost from the ice, when the ice was gone, went down 10 to 18 feet and so the floor was always messed up,” Ross says. It was eventually converted to its current use as a Public Storage facility."

1671062682403.png

I have had a chance to look at some freezer facility and we are building a LNG tank both have insulation and heating systems under them to prevent the ground from freezing. Also w have a Liquor store that has a huge walk-in cooler over a metal deck with concrete that has insulation under it to prevent the metal decking from driping with condensation

You forgot the Maritime practice of inhaling while saying "ahyup." Often while nodding.