• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hold open?

It would be a pain to latch the door open, but it should not affect the release. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Now that i think about it, i can see 2 problems on release: smack somebody in the head, and/or the plate swings around and get in front of the door, and prevents it from closing all the way.

Now that i think about it, i can see 2 problems on release: smack somebody in the head, and/or the plate swings around and get in front of the door, and prevents it from closing all the way.
Stopping the rated door from closing is/was my biggest concern....Cycled them a bunch of times with the FM and it didn't come close to being an issue....More interested if this violates a listing on the hold open or something in NFPA 80 and haven't had time to rip into that

I'm sure the armature on a chain is not listed for this purpose...there are extensions available that can be purchased for the product and are listed as part of the assembly. Technically the product does not comply with the listing requirements.

Thanks Lori!....Difficult customer so I am crossing and dotting.....I told them if they can get me something from the manufacturer, I would be OK...Installation instructions are sparse, could find the listing info.

Methinks that NFPA 80 may have something to say on this?
6.1.3.3 Automatic-Closing Doors. Automatic-closing doors shall be permitted to close automatically by means of the installation of a closing device and one of the following:
  1. A separate, labeled, fail-safe door holder/release device or a hold-open mechanism that shall be permitted to be an integral part of the basic closing device
6.4.1.5 Where door holder/release devices are used, they shall be labeled.

Here is a recent article I wrote on this topic: https://www.locksmithledger.com/doo...2/hold-on-how-to-hold-open-a-fire-door-safely

From the article:
For wall-mounted units, some coordination is required when selecting the projection of the magnet housing and armature to provide the required amount of clearance. Chains and other creative methods for field-modifying a magnetic holder or armature never should be used, because they aren’t covered by the manufacturer’s listings.