• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Holes in garage crossbeam

askamsky51

Hey all,

I'm currently getting ready to sell our home. I'm a first-time homeowner and possibly made a stupid mistake when trying to install a light-weight pulley system. I had drilled two holes in one of the cross beams in my garage. I was hoping to get some advice on whether this was a code violation and possible steps I could do to mitigate any issues.

Thanks in advance.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/XEd2Tnn" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/XEd2Tnn"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is what the code says:

The diameter of holes bored or cut into
members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member.
Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the
top or bottom of the member
, or to any other hole located
in the member. Where the member is also notched, the
hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch.

2018 IRC R802.7 deals with cutting or notching ceiling joists, and it refers you to section R502.8.1, which is the section that Rick just posted.

However, a picture that shows the location of that board in the room so we could see what it is supporting would be helpful because we can't really be certain what the function of that board is from the current picture.

2018 IRC R802.7 deals with cutting or notching ceiling joists, and it refers you to section R502.8.1, which is the section that Rick just posted.

However, a picture that shows the location of that board in the room so we could see what it is supporting would be helpful because we can't really be certain what the function of that board is from the current picture.
What you are calling a board appears to be an attempt at a hanger to the beam.