• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Home indoor ramp code requirements and recommendations

knightridar

Hi, I wanted to know if joists are required underneath the plywood flooring for building an indoor ramp in a home?
This is a link of the image and it contains my current dimensions:
Ramp single plywood close up dimensions:

The ramp has a 4 degree angle (better than 4.76 degree - 1:12 ADA minimum requirement ratio)
At that angle the length of the home would have to be ~55 m and a height ~ 3 m height from the base floor to the ceiling ( I left another .3 m for height of the 2nd floor base - for joists/plywood, etc)
I am thinking of using this plywood as the ramp flooring:

I've seen these staircase angles being used before for stair steps and am thinking of using them as supports for the plywood:

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

What's going to be the purpose for this indoor ramp? It's certainly going to take up an awful lot of room. You have to remember that if this is a private residence it does not need to meet any of the ADA requirements. If you are trying to meet them you're going to need landings in the ramp, the ADA does not allow a ramp that long without flat landings, I don't have in front of me but I believe it's every 30"of rise or it could be less.

Last edited:
I'm planning for it to be for a private residence.
Right now I'm going with the intent that there will be lots of room.
It would be located at the side wall of a building, so one side of the staircase angles could be fastened to a piece of wood that is fastened to that wall, etc.
The other side would have to be fastened to another piece of wood.

The main purpose is basically to eliminate any potential injuries caused on stairs.
The primary use cases would be for older senior citizen aged people, toddlers/children, and disabled people.
Secondary purpose is ease of transporting furniture, items, etc...

What are landings? After some googling it seems like they are just flat bridges with legs?

If this was to meet ADA or ANSI A117.1 requirements, some requirements: maximum 1::12 rise, 30" vertical rise between landings, landings min 5'x5', curbs, and handrails. If this is 1st floor to 2nd floor, like 9', that's over 130' of ramp and landings.

btw I suspect the plywood is not strong enough without additional framing.

knight … what is your goal? After reading the second post, it sounds like you are trying to develop a product to sell to homeowners … ? Regardless, I would not use maple plywood. Too expensive, and possibly slippery.

knight … what is your goal? After reading the second post, it sounds like you are trying to develop a product to sell to homeowners … ? Regardless, I would not use maple plywood. Too expensive, and possibly slippery.

Not trying to develop a product.
Just want to build it as a custom DIY build.

Ideally I wanted to just have one single ramp and not worry about the home's length or any bends/turns on the ramp.
However, it seems impractical unless I find some place with a large amount of land.

The joists seems like they will be necessary. A lot of ramp pictures I found online seem to look like they have joists in them.

It will need joists as well as supports for those joists. Landings as mentioned are needed also and are level and will need five feet that won't give you any elevation. Even if a dwelling you must proved handrail and will need something to attach those to. Would have to be less than 2% rise to not be considered a ramp and that would more than double the length.

2018 IRC:
R311.8 Ramps.
R311.8.1 Maximum slope. Ramps serving the egress
door required by Section R311.2 shall have a slope of not
more than 1 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8.3-percent
slope). Other ramps shall have a maximum slope of 1
unit vertical in 8 units horizontal (12.5 percent).
Exception: Where it is technically infeasible to comply
because of site constraints, ramps shall have a slope of
not more than 1 unit vertical in 8 units horizontal (12.5
percent).
R311.8.2 Landings required. There shall be a floor or
landing at the top and bottom of each ramp, where doors
open onto ramps, and where ramps change directions. The
width of the landing perpendicular to the ramp slope shall
be not less than 36 inches (914 mm).
R311.8.3 Handrails required. Handrails shall be provided
on not less than one side of ramps exceeding a slope
of one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8.33-percent
slope).
R311.8.3.1 Height. Handrail height, measured above
the finished surface of the ramp slope, shall be not less
than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches
(965 mm).
R311.8.3.2 Grip size. Handrails on ramps shall comply
with Section R311.7.8.5.
R311.8.3.3 Continuity. Handrails where required on
ramps shall be continuous for the full length of the
ramp. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate
in newel posts or safety terminals. Handrails adjacent
to a wall shall have a space of not less than 11/2 inches
(38 mm) between the wall and the handrails.

I think the cutoff slope is 5%. Less than 5% is not classified as a ramp.
The problem is if you reduce the slope, no matter what the number is, is that it takes up a lot more floor space! You may not need landings but you're going to take up a lot more floor space to avoid landings!

I have no idea what your trying to do, but it sure seems like designing this hypothetical house that needs a rediculous amount of ramp to access rooms of unknown elevation change, would be to base this hypothetical design on a single level that would not need any ramps at all would be a better idea.