• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Homeowners shouldn't do electrical work

I so agree about buying a handymans house. Was dating a lady one time and she said she had some electrical problems with her house. When i opened the breaker box there was not a breaker in the box under 30 amps. I told her to call an electrican. She had at least a dozen open connections inthe attic. Replaced a light fixture for her. The connections were behind the work box inside the wall.

Mark K said:
What law are you talking about that requires homeowners be state certified to do electrical work? Give me specific references. We have laws that limit who can do work for others but do not believe this applies to doing electrical work on ones home. If what you say is true why is it not illegal to sell books on how to wire your own home?
Speaking in nation-wide terms, there is no consistency in contractor licensing and there is no connection to freedom speech/press. The free market of products and references is not connected to construction standards.

Colorado is a home rule state and each municipality can set their own rules. Denver will let you get a homeowners permit to do work yourself...after you prove yourself... Just an example to add to the thread.

https://www.denvergov.org/developmentservices/DevelopmentServices/HomeProjects/HomeownersExam/tabid/436705/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark K said:
We have laws that limit who can do work for others but do not believe this applies to doing electrical work on ones home. If what you say is true why is it not illegal to sell books on how to wire your own home?
You're correct. We trust contractors and housewives and nobody in the middle.

The state requires that electricians be certified. A test is required. Before one can take the test they must have "4800 hours of work for an electrical contractor installing, constructing or maintaining electrical systems covered by the National Electrical Code".

On the other hand a property owner can read about doing electrical work and then tackle whatever. In all fairness, I admit that this is rarely the case. They usually don't read about it first.

"why is it not illegal to sell books on how to wire your own home?"

Same reason HD can sell precut stringers and nonlisted AAV's...."Cause this is 'Merica"

I've seen books in bookstores and home depot and in the library for doing residential structural work too. I suppose if someone reads those books we should allow them to do their own structural work too. Talking beams here. Worst case scenario, the house falls down, or more likely severe deflection in any one area of the home.

rktect 1 said:
I suppose if someone reads those books we should allow them to do their own structural work too.
Yep.

As long as it's built to the prescriptive requirements of the Code, you have no reason to stop them.

My opinion, is the correct attitude is to let people do the job as many times as they like to get it right. That applies to contractors as well as "others".

Brent.

It gets frustrating for us Brent when we go back 6 times for reinspections on a $15 permit.....

MASSDRIVER said:
My opinion, is the correct attitude is to let people do the job as many times as they like to get it right. That applies to contractors as well as "others". Brent.

MT....We just had a "legal update" class where the state told us the towns did not have authority to charge any other fees beyond the permit fee.....

Here is how ours reads....(Amd) 108.2 Schedule of permit fees. Each municipality shall establish a schedule of fees for each construction document review, building permit, certificate of approval and certificate of occupancy. A schedule of adopted fees shall be posted for public view.

Inspections not being noted....they say we cannot charge for....

steveray said:
It gets frustrating for us Brent when we go back 6 times for reinspections on a $15 permit.....
Which opens the door for the Code Official to become an Educator, most of us are public servants after all, no?

mjesse said:
Which opens the door for the Code Official to become an Educator, most of us are public servants after all, no?
Which is only a problem when someone requires soooooo much service that it is a detriment to the rest of the public....

Simple solution is explain what the permit fees are for within your "schedule of fees"

Permit fees shall cover all cost of providing for inspections required by the AHJ

Certificate of Approval and Certificate of Occupancy Shall be $XX.00 plus $XX.00 for each failed inspection.

You are not charging for re-inspections you are charging for failed inspections

Start thinking like a lawyer/politician.

steveray said:
I can imagine it tries ones patience.

The only mitigation is reinspection fees, as stated.

But the big picture is that you try to make the inspection process affordable so that permits are issued and the work gets inspected.

Having bandits running around making electrical fireplaces benifits nobody.

Brent

It has little to do with money or inconvenience.

The business of inspections is based on the premise that the person doing the work is qualified to do that work. Mistakes happen. An inspector is expected to explain corrections. When did it become expected that an inspector will educate a novice about the basics of the trade? It's usually a friend, relative or the guy that wired your wife's brother-in-law's boss's spa.

Now there's a guy I want to explain 10 corrections to. If he were smart enough to touch electrical work, he wouldn't have done what he's done. And what happens when I do teach the novice? Well he's got a service upgrade under his belt so PV isn't out of reach.

ICE said:
When did it become expected that an inspector will educate a novice about the basics of the trade?
My point regarding education is more toward the how and why of the Code requirements, not teaching a man (or woman) the trade.

I get homeowners here who want to be GC's for their project (to save money), then expect me to be the officiator or professor of the various sub's workmanship. Sorry buddy, that what a GC's job is.

Explaining to a person the intent of the Code, and why we ask for corrections is part of the job. I was never fond of the "cuz I said so" inspectors when I was building homes. The one who really opened my eyes to the "way" of the Code, is the reason I'm in this job now.

Be an inspiration.

I do my best to inspire them.......to go back to school and learn to write code......computer code.

mjesse said:
My point regarding education is more toward the how and why of the Code requirements, not teaching a man (or woman) the trade.
Where would you start with this guy?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97859466@N05/11892009454/[/URL]

Me? Well I started with, "Don't touch another thing and hire an electrician" That's how it ended too.

11892829876_cbe0996c9a_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97859466@N05/11892829876/

Do you take the time to explain the why behind the code? Do I really need to tell him that it doesn't qualify as a water pipe bond? And then go into the whys and wherefores of armor bonding?

I get a call in the morning asking me to explain the corrections. Well that's not what he meant to say. He meant to say, "Take my hand and guide me through every step".

I should turn it around on them and ask them to explain it to me.

It boils down to a lack of respect. Respect for the people who have made the electrical trade a career. Respect for the people who inspect the work. Respect for the people that will own it, use it and live in it. Even respect for themselves.

So you're sitting out there reading this thinking, "That's not me" "I respect electricity and do it correctly".

Congratulations, you are the one in twenty. I've got a few thousand pictures of the other 19 at their best and they all think that they are the one in twenty.