• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hookah Pipe Lounge

Glennman,

Reminiscing are you ? :lol: You CAN plead the 5th !!

texas transplant said:
TimNY,My point wasn't to accept something less than code, just that if a designer wants to vary from the code, don't do the homework for him.
I agree!

FWIW I just looked at the IFC and it says "for the purposes of determining the egress capacity" the occupancy number shall be the largest number. Which really doesn't help out with this question, being a mechanical code question.

2003 IMC 403.3 states, "The occupant load utilized for the design of the ventilation system shall not be less than the number determined from the the estimated maximum occupant load rate indicated in Table 403.3. Ventilation rates for occupancies not represented in Table 403.3 shall be determined by an approved engineering analysis"

Unless the architect is also an engineer, it looks like you would actually have to require an engineering analysis. Once you have that in hand, I would just run with whatever the engineer says.

it's an assembly occupancy .. or a business.. :)

depending on the SF of the space..