1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Tub- distance to an exterior AC unit?

Discussion in 'Electrical Codes' started by inspector444, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

1. inspector444

inspector444 Member

I am looking at a residential Hot tub being installed on a patio. There is an existing AC unit on the patio. Using the the 2017 NEC as code, does the hot tub have to be a minimum distance from the AC unit? I'm not seeing any specific requirement. Can the Hot tub be located within 3 ft. of the AC? The best I am seeing is 680.22 (D) - requirement that other outlets must be a minimum 10 ft. from a pool as an applicable code section.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

2. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

The code seams silent on this. Maybe at least 5' so no one could touch the AC when in the water? But I would require the AC to be GFCI protected.
    680.26(B) requires it to be bonded to the equipotental bonding system, but not if there is no metal on the hot tub.

3. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Hey, please point me in the direction of what code would require GFCI for the AC condenser. I can't find it

4. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

5. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

6. inspector444

inspector444 Member

Part of my dilemma is 680.4 which indicates equipment located on the deck shall be installed per 680 and shall be listed. Does the AC have to be listed for use in the pool area? Is the intent to prohibit any equipment not specifically referenced for pool use from being located in the pool area? ( in my case a hot tub area). As an interpretation of intent requirement, I am looking at the lighting requirements that GFI protection is required for lights located 5 ft. or more from a pool.

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Its all about proximity to water, "duh".
    And maybe a little common sense?

8. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Can't regulate stupid.

If you have a code section, great. Enforce it. Otherwise, walk away.

You can give a recommendation if it helps you sleep.

9. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Here you go, "any receptacles"

*The National Electrical Code (NEC) ART. 680 Pools and Spas, specifies installation of an approved manual disconnect device. It must be adjacent to the hot tub, at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight. The NEC also requires a 120V receptacle within a 10-20 foot distance from the spa.

Receptacles Near Swimming Pools and Outdoor Spas and Hot Tubs
    1. Do not locate any receptacles less than (<) 6 feet from the inside edge of all indoor and outdoor swimming pools and all outdoor spas and hot tubs.

You may locate circulation system receptacles at least (≥) 6 feet and less than (<) 10 feet from the inside edge of any indoor or outdoor swimming pool and outdoor spa and hot tub if all of the following apply:
    (a) the receptacle serves a pump motor or other load associated with the circulation system, and if
    (b) the receptacle is a single locking type, and if
    (c) the receptacle is GFCI protected.

2. Locate at least (≥) one 120 volt, 15 amp or 20 amp general purpose receptacle at least (≥) 6 feet and not more than (≤) 20 feet from the inside edge of all indoor and outdoor swimming pools and all outdoor spas and hot tubs. Locate this receptacle not more than (≤) 78 inches above the walking surface serving the swimming pool and outdoor spa and hot tub.
    3. Place all receptacles located not more than (≤) 20 feet from the inside edge of all indoor and outdoor swimming pools and all outdoor spas and hot tubs on a GFCI protected circuit.
    4. Place all 15 and 20 amp, 120 and 240 volt outlets serving pump motors, whether by receptacle or hard-wired connection, on a GFCI protected circuit.

[​IMG]

10. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

ADAguy, not talking about a receptacle. Asking about an air conditioner. If it a condenser unit or a window AC I don't think there would be an outside receptacle.

This is an interesting subject because the code does not seem to address an electrical appliance near a hot tub or a pool except for bonding to metal parts.

Since there is no GFCI requirements for electric pool water heater and no required distance to the pool maybe a AC could be right next to the pool or above it (a window AC) it with no restrictions.

11. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

The AC ???, Condenser?? Most outside AC equipment is weather rated so don't believe the water is a problem, probably not an issue. Shock hazard would be a concern.

12. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Yes, a "big" one, even if grounded.

13. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

So I am looking at 680.4 and wondering what the intent is since it says:

680.4 Approval of Equipment. All electrical equipment installed
    in the water, walls, or decks of pools, fountains, and similar
    installations shall comply with the provisions of this article.
    Equipment and products shall be listed.

So technically speaking, the condensing unit is ON the deck, not IN the deck. ???