• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hours of Operation

Nothing present

Their is a noise ordinace that the police department enforces by complaint between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am 7 days a week including holidays

With the exception of the noise ordinances mentioned above I've never seen a city have any ordinances that restricted the hours construction could take place. There may be specifics in the permit for a given job because of traffic interruptions etc. but I've never seen any place that had a blanket ban on construction during certain hours. Along the same line I don't see why you would want it because many times construction (especially renovations) in an existing business take place during nonworking hours.

We do not have anything either. But I will commend our contractors for doing their very best in phasing their projects to minimize disruptions to adjacent property owners.

I remember when working in Ft Lauderdale we could not make any noise before 8:00 am and that was because we where "exempt" from the noise ordiance after that time

Sec. 17-8. - Exemptions.
hyperlink.png

Construction operations between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday and between 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Sunday for which building permits have been issued, or construction operations not requiring permits due to the scope of work or ownership of the project by an agency of government; providing all equipment is operated in accordance with its manufacturers' specifications, uses as standard equipment its manufacturers' mufflers and noise-reducing equipment, and is in proper operating condition

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10787

We have language in our municipal code that speaks to decibel level restrictions after 10, till 7, but it is completely unenforceable according to our local court.

We have language in our municipal code that speaks to decibel level restrictions after 10, till 7, enforced by the police department

joetheinspector said:
We have language in our municipal code that speaks to decibel level restrictions after 10, till 7, enforced by the police department
Joe, could you provied us with a link or the code for this please?

Our Code is M-F 7-7, Sat 8-6, no work Sundays or Holidays

We do enforce it because we ALWAYS get phone complaints as soon as someone fires up their equipment at 0655

The Code only addresses Contractors and not property owners. We have many complaints when the golf course starts mowing at 0600, but since they own the property, they're exempt.

B. No Commercial Contractor or Commercial Contractors Wastehaulers, as such terms are

defined in Section 5-1-11 of this Code, shall perform any work, provide any service or

deliver any materials to any construction site on any Sunday or federally-recognized holiday

on which the Village administrative offices are closed, or before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.,

Monday to Friday, and before 8:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some typically antiquated language from our code: "No construction or alteration operations shall be carried on at night time if the same are accompanied by loud noises, except with the consent of the Council."

Kearney.200 said:
If this is the wrong section sorry seemed the best to me,anyway Dose your AHJ have preset hours that construction may take pace and what about Sundays and Holidays? Thanks in advance for your help
Are you really going to enforce such a ban uniformly ... including against homeowners?

Here City Ordinance says construction hours 8am to 6pm monday thru saturday, Sunday and legal holidays 10am to 6pm we are required to enforce too, includes city projects also